Gideon -- Toledo, OH -- April 22nd, 2014
Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Large Marge sent me.

Metal Masters Tour -- Holmdel, NJ -- August 9th, 2008

Although all the bands on the bill deserve to be called Metal Masters. Especially Testament if you ask me. Starting a concert at 5:30 just didn't set right with me although every band who were top notch in my opinion. I guess that is because a concert like this should start at least 6:00 so that Motorhead can have a better light show. That and Testament's and Motorhead's set were too short but I can under stand that.

Testament

Over The Wall
The New Order
Practice What You Preach
Souls of Black
More Than Meets The Eye
The Formation of Damnation

I get to my spot on the lawn area as Over The Wall was ending. I didn't head bang or rock out as much as I would have liked too but seeing Testament for the first time was amazing. They are a band that really give it they’re all when they perform live. The best band member award goes to.....Mr. Chuck Billy for his great live vocal style. I was very happy with the overall set list and although they didn't play Apocalyptic City. I am especially happy they played The Formation of Damnation.

After Testament ends, I headed to the nearest merch stand, shelled out $35, and got the Testament shirt I wanted. There was this really nice Judas Priest shirt that I wanted where on the front was the Judas Priest Nostradomas logo on the top and the art work was the four horsemen. I did not buy it because the back had the Nostradamas album cover in black and white with no tour dates. It looked kind of bootlegged if you ask me. I also found it strange that there wasn't a special Metal Masters tour shirt.

Motorhead was another band seeing for the 1st time. They were really fun to see live. Mikkey Dee did a dynamite drum solo right in the middle In the name of Tragedy.

Dr. Rock
Stay Clean
Be My Baby
The Killers
Metropolis
Over The Top
In The Name Of Tragedy
Just 'Cos You Got The Power
Going To Brazil
Killed By Death
Ace Of Spades
Overkill
Overkill was fucking amazing and I look foward to seeing them again when they come around. The same thing also goes for Testament.

After Motorhead's set ended my friend Timmy had an idea for us to move away from the lawn area and sneak down to some of the nicer seats. While my friends Mark, Timmy, and his girl friend Inna went to the bathroom. Me, Alex, Kevin, Denis, and Chris jumped over the railing, avoided security like the plague and with much success snuck into row A-D. Much like for Iron Maiden at PNC. I once again got an expensive seat for the price of a lawn area ticket. The stage set up for Heaven and Hell was amazing. They used little pieces from all 3 of their albums and mixed it in with a nice stage set up. I thought that was awesome.

E5150 was used as their intro music which led right into The Mob Rules and I lost it. Everyone sounded and performed great.

E5150
The Mob Rules
Children Of The Sea
I
The Sign of the Southern Cross
Drum Solo
Time Machine
Falling Off The Edge Of The World
Tony Iommi solo
Die Young
Heaven And Hell (extended version)

I saw Heaven and Hell last year at Jones Beach in NY and as much as I love them. I felt that the drum solo could have been taken out and the band should have done a few more songs instead. I am a bit iffy about the extended version of Heaven and Hell because although I thought it was awesome at the time. You do not do an extended version like that especially if you have a short set time. But all in all. I thought the extended version was okay with all of the little things that were added. I know I am probably going to get yelled at for this but Tony's solo could have been a lot shorter. They could have done Neon Knights but noooooooo. 'I' was my favorite song they played, however, they were great to see live once again.

Heaven and Hell gets off the stage and it is almost time for the mighty Judas Priest to tear it up. The Judas Priest stage setup was being set up as the Heaven and Hell setup was being taken down.

The fat loud mouth so called "hard rock and metal DJ,” Eddie Trunk comes on stage to say some stupid crap and introduces Judas Priest.

The area grows dark and everyone screams at the top of their lungs like there is no tomorrow for JUDAS PRIEST! I honestly don't know where to begin with a performance this amazing but I will give it a shot.
Dawn Of Creation
Prophecy
Metal Gods
Eat Me Alive
Between The Hammer And The Anvil
Devil's Child
Breaking The Law
Hell Patrol
Dissident Aggressor
Angel
The Hellion / Electric Eye
Rock Hard, Ride Free
Painkiller

------Encore------
Hell Bent For Leather
The Green Manalishi
You've Got Another Thing Coming

Every song was great in it's own little way and even though I was drenched in sweat, my neck was killing me, and my throat was dried up. I did not care because seeing Judas Priest did what they did tonight for the 3rd time in five years has exceeded my expectations of what an arena metal show can be. Rob and Co. were at the top of their game and they performed an excellent show with no pun intended. All guns blazing. There isn't much I can't say about Judas Priest that has not been said already. They are just an amazing band that has greatly helped carried the flag of metal for what is going to be 40 years next year.

And thus ends my review for The Metal Masters show. My grievances are posted in my mini review. This show is a nose hair away from beating the Iron Maiden show at PNC. That's how good this show really is. I strongly recommend going if there is a tour date near you. I will post pictures from the show if and when I can get up tomorrow. I also have a special surprise story

IN ROCK WE TRUST!,
Ian

P.S. I copied and pasted all of the set lists from the VA show. If anything is misplaced than feel free to make those corrections.

Last edited by Electric/Funeral55; 08-10-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Corrections had to be made.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:15 AM
MY LEG!!

It was AWESOME! I'll have a full review and lots of pictures and a video up tomorrow ... we had a bit of an incident on the ride home which you'll learn about tomorrow ... so it's too late right now. But fucking great concert

Tags
heaven and hell, judas priest, motorhead, testament