The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014

Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 PM
In Search of Truth

Dokken -- Allentown, PA -- August 1st, 2008

Hey. I'm a moderate Dokken fan, they were playing 10 minutes from me, the show was on a Friday for $13, and friends of mine were going. Thus, I gladly decided to catch the show.
We picked my friend up around 9 and got down to the Croc Rock shortly thereafter. We met up with other friends and hung outside until about 9:45. It was excellent. For once I was in a no-stress position at a show. We showed up late enough to miss all the opening bands, and only stood inside for 10 minutes before Dokken came on.
From start the venue's trademark shitty sound shone through, but not nearly as bad as I've sometimes heard it. At least you could clearly hear all instruments and the vocals. Oh yes, the vocals... Don Dokken clearly isn't in the peak vocal condition of his life, cheating his way out of many of the original vocal lines, but as a whole I can't complain. I'd rather have him cut corners than try to sing stuff way out of his range and suck. Also, he's a very witty frontman between songs, I was fairly amused. Jon Levin is perfectly capable of playing the majority of Lynch's solos from what I could tell, but one thing must be made very clear. Don Dokken should NOT be playing a guitar solo. Apparently he didn't get that notice.
Oh, and yes, I know the set list is very short. They were cut off by curfew and only wound up playing about an hour and 15-20 minutes.

1.Kiss of Death
2.Into the Fire
3.Standing on the Outside
4.The Hunter
5.Unchain the Night
6.Just Got Lucky
7.Alone Again
8.Breaking the Chains / Guitar Duel
9.Too High to Fly / Jon Levin Guitar Solo
10.It's Not Love
11.Tooth and Nail
12.In My Dreams
Old 08-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Metal DJ

I was there....Dokken was awesome I thought. I only have two complaints of the show....

1. NO "DREAM WARRIORS" !!!!!!

2. The opening bands...MAJOR SHIT!!! The one band was the WORST cover band I have ever heard in my entire life!!! Another was a reggee "metal" band if that makes any fucking sense at all...

And Don sounded better than he has in the past few years...still not 100%
Old 08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Last time I saw Dokken Don was drunk off his ass, smoking on stage, hoarse voice, and they sounded pretty piss poor!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:51 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodcurse View Post
I was there....Dokken was awesome I thought. I only have two complaints of the show....

1. NO "DREAM WARRIORS" !!!!!!

2. The opening bands...MAJOR SHIT!!! The one band was the WORST cover band I have ever heard in my entire life!!! Another was a reggee "metal" band if that makes any fucking sense at all...

And Don sounded better than he has in the past few years...still not 100%
1.I said in my review, they were cut off by the curfew of the venue, which apparently has recently been changed to earlier than it was. If it hadn't been as such, they would have played more songs than they did, including Dream Warriors, Paris is Burning, and one or two others as well.

2.I didn't catch any of the opening bands, luckily enough. Every opening band Croc Rock ever books is shitty and inappropriate for the show... well... except my band of course.

Tags
dokken