Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM
We're dying on the inside

The Mars Volta -- The Bedlam in Goliath

As of 2005's brilliant Frances the Mute, The Mars Volta appeared to be the shining light in progressive rock and the band capable of carrying the torch deep into the new millenium. That was then, and this is now.

Unfortunately, The Bedlam in Goliath, much like last year's Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater, is everything wrong with progressive music. The songs (if you can call the tracks on here songs) are prog- for-the-sake-of-prog exercises in self-indulgence that are more concerned with vocal and guitar pyrotechnics than creating memorable pieces of music. While Frances the Mute showed the myriad of influences the Mars Volta draw from, The Bedlam in Goliath serves only to show that they have loads of talent but seem to have forgotten how to use it.

From overambitious opening number "Aberinkula" through overdramatic album closer "Conjugal Burns", damn near everything on this album feels forced. There are moments of brilliance on just about every song, but they are so mired in the off-kilter time signatures and indecipherable shrieks of voice and instrument alike that you're unwilling to listen through the crap to find them. Unusual instruments are used completely annoyingly and are totally forced, whereas in the past TMV had a use for every second of time they occupied with their sound.

Maybe the saddest part of this album is the drastic decline in Cedric Bixler-Zavala's vocals. In the past he could channel equal parts soulful and frantic, but now he seems exclusively concerned with proving what high notes he can hit, and how well he knows how to use his effects processor. Alas, gone is the beauty of "The Widow" and the controlled chaos of "L'via L'viaquez", replaced with a dog-whistle singing deliberately obtuse lyrics. And if you liked the Mars Volta's flirtation with Latin-flavored music, both in their Santana-esque interludes and Spanish lyrics, kiss that goodbye as well.

It is a sad day when one of the finest bands in prog puts out a piece of overly technical tripe with virtually no replay value, but I have to be honest in my reviews, and honesty requires me to recommend this album only to collectors and fans. Even then, meh. This will probably turn out to be my biggest disappointment of the year.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
deliberately obtuse lyrics
This is one of the many things that keep me from getting into this band. NONE OF THEIR LYRICS MAKE A SHRED OF GODDAMNED SENSE. I don't mind when lyrics are a little abstract or bizarre, but these guys take it to a whole other level of incomprehensible bullshit. “The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter.” THAT DOESN'T FUCKING MEAN ANYTHING!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Are you unfamiliar with Amputechture? It seems weird to contrast this album with Frances the Mute while ignoring the album they put out in between.

Amputechture is pretty great, if you skip the first and last songs.

I've only heard "Wax Simulacra" so far from the new one, but I thought it kicked ass.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Are you unfamiliar with Amputechture? It seems weird to contrast this album with Frances the Mute while ignoring the album they put out in between.

Amputechture is pretty great, if you skip the first and last songs.

I've only heard "Wax Simulacra" so far from the new one, but I thought it kicked ass.
I've heard Amputechture, but am admittedly not as familiar with it as Frances the Mute. It's fair to say that it's an intermediate step between the styles I hear on Frances and Bedlam though.

And yeah, Wax Simulacra is one of the couple highlights on the album.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 02-10-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM

"The songs (if you can call the tracks on here songs) are prog- for-the-sake-of-prog exercises in self-indulgence that are more concerned with vocal and guitar pyrotechnics than creating memorable pieces of music."

If that doesn't describe "Cassandra Gemini" from Frances the Mute, then I don't know what does.

Now listening to "Metatron" off the new album. I have to say, I think it's really fucking good, and a lot less obtuse-sounding than most of Frances the Mute, which to me is the Mars Volta at their most over-indulgent.

But hey... to each his own.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
"The songs (if you can call the tracks on here songs) are prog- for-the-sake-of-prog exercises in self-indulgence that are more concerned with vocal and guitar pyrotechnics than creating memorable pieces of music."

If that doesn't describe "Cassandra Gemini" from Frances the Mute, then I don't know what does.

Now listening to "Metatron" off the new album. I have to say, I think it's really fucking good, and a lot less obtuse-sounding than most of Frances the Mute, which to me is the Mars Volta at their most over-indulgent.

But hey... to each his own.

I feel the opposite.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:

I feel the opposite.
You don't think the 4 minute stretches of ambient noise all over Frances the Mute are a little... excessive?

Or that one 35 minute song with 0 tempo changes and 0 key changes is a little... preposterous?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You don't think the 4 minute stretches of ambient noise all over Frances the Mute are a little... excessive?

Or that one 35 minute song with 0 tempo changes and 0 key changes is a little... preposterous?
I like ambient music.

And I really like Cassandra Gemini because it reminds me of Echoes.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I like ambient music.

And I really like Cassandra Gemini because it reminds me of Echoes.
Well, okay, more power to you... but do you see my point? It's hard to argue they've gotten more "prog-for-prog's-sake" since FTM...
Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Well, okay, more power to you... but do you see my point? It's hard to argue they've gotten more "prog-for-prog's-sake" since FTM...
Well I liked that the FTM songs have breathing room, whereas the entirety of Bedlam feels downright claustrophobic, like if they snuck one more riff in the album would explode.