Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 11-16-2007, 12:57 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

They could still have played a setlist of short songs and not played so much off Framing Armageddon. I made the "don't play Dante's it's too long for a support set" point already. But the point that you don't fill a 30 minute slot with 20 minutes of new material still stands, I think. And I don't think the new songs make it a "mass appealing setlist". Nobody's knows those songs, and they're not very good anyway!

I don't think playing loads of new songs was a wise move at all. Not in a short set. They should have played the single, for obvious reasons, and Charge To Keep because it's sufficiently different. Then played short, heavy, old songs, plus Declaration Day, which is always immense.

There's also no need to appeal to the average LoG fan because none of them went to the shows! Seriously there were about six LoG fans in Wembley Arena. There were WAY more IE fans there.

LoG were the ones with the struggle on their hands, not IE. It was a power/trad metal crowd. IE were fine. You could tell by the cheers which greeted the old songs. LoG had the uphill battle because trad metal fans are so narrow minded, in general. And on queue most of them went to the bar.

Can't wait for a proper IE show though! I've seen two short shows this year and after the cancelled '04 tour I still need a real show!

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 AM
RockersDigest Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
There's also no need to appeal to the average LoG fan because none of them went to the shows!
I encountered quite a few between tube station and Arena. We turned up quite early and were over by the box office where quite a few people in Lamb Of God shirts were collecting or purchasing tickets.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Nowt compared to the IE fans in attendance. Or the old-man quota there just for H&H.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Defender of the Faith

think about it, it makes TONS of sense for an american band to goto the UK and play declaration day =p
Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTwilight View Post
think about it, it makes TONS of sense for an american band to goto the UK and play declaration day =p

Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 PM
N00B

If you look at the song lengths of the set, the old material took just as much stage-time as the new, so they didn't play 'loads of' new songs.
Fair enough they COULD'VE played less new and more old but they're touring in support of the new album so they wanted to play a semi-decent amount of it.

And I don't agree that there were more IE fans than LOG fans. There was definately more LOG tshirts walking around. But H&H fans tended to prefere IE to LOG so IE got the bigger cheer of the two.
Let's put it like this: there were more LOG fans going in, but there were more IE fans coming out!!
I do agree though that LOG had an uphill climb from the start - they really don't suit the tour. But they were put on to bring in the younger crowd, which they did, so from a marketing POV they worked.

I think IE still had enough time to squeeze in one more song (as their set lasted 25 mins of the allocated 30) such as Violate, Jack, Dark Saga etc (I would say Last December but we all know Jon dislikes that album. They were gonna play it around Europe but pulled it out of the set).
I asked Brent about this and he said that they had used this set as a sound check whilst touring Europe and that the tour promoters were very strict that they weren't to increase it - so blame them not the band for that as they wanted to squeeze one more in.

Tags
heaven and hell, iced earth, lamb of god