KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I just thought I should mention this, as of today, progarchives.com now recognizes "crossover prog" as a genre

But it includes bands who aren't prog by nature but are very progressive nonetheless: Maiden is among them.
Bah pssh.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I can't wait to describe a band as "DRI meets Yes"
Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave View Post
Always been a fan, but a casual fan at best. And with the Heaven And Hell show coming up, with Alice opening; I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations album-wise...
This is an EvilCheeseWedge question.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
MY LEG!!

A Fistful of Alice.

Awesome live album. Good variety of songs, will also get you ready for him live.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLardsAlot View Post
A Fistful of Alice.

Awesome live album. Good variety of songs, will also get you ready for him live.
I think the sound quality of that album is very poor. For really good live Alice look for the live tracks on the Classicks disc, or the bonus live discs with the Brutally Live and Live At Montreux 2005 DVDs. The quality of all of those is much better than Fistful of Alice.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
This is an EvilCheeseWedge question.

Your best bet is a greatest hits to get ready for a show, try this one - it's good. If you want live, go with the 2005 live album - first of all, it's a better performance then the other lives ones, secondly it includes a CD and a DVD. Fistfull is okay, but honestly I think it's a pretty weak showing and the guest musicians I find to be a bit annoying. Brutally Live has pretty poor sound quality.

As for the albums, if you like a modern heavier sound try Brutal Planet, or Dragontown - they are both very good albums. His last two have been a bit lackluster, you might enjoy 'em, you might not... I wouldn't say they are very good starting points at any rate.

Also, if you're curious about some Alice set lists/reviews here's mine from 2003, 2004, and 2005!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Dharma Wants You

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post

Your best bet is a greatest hits to get ready for a show, try this one - it's good. If you want live, go with the 2005 live album - first of all, it's a better performance then the other lives ones, secondly it includes a CD and a DVD. Fistfull is okay, but honestly I think it's a pretty weak showing and the guest musicians I find to be a bit annoying. Brutally Live has pretty poor sound quality.

As for the albums, if you like a modern heavier sound try Brutal Planet, or Dragontown - they are both very good albums. His last two have been a bit lackluster, you might enjoy 'em, you might not... I wouldn't say they are very good starting points at any rate.

Also, if you're curious about some Alice set lists/reviews here's mine from 2003, 2004, and 2005!
Hey thanks a lot man, I was hoping you'd find time to answer me. That really sucks about him never playing wind-up toy or bed of nails though...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave View Post
Hey thanks a lot man, I was hoping you'd find time to answer me. That really sucks about him never playing wind-up toy or bed of nails though...
Agreed. I'll be interested to see what his set focuses on for this tour... I don't know if he'll play more heavier things (like the Brutal Planet material) or if he'll stick to his classics (that greatest hits CD has at least 50% of the material he will play at any show though... you can pretty much count on that - I'll warn you now too for his 80's albums, they are all hit and miss and can largely be skipped. I believe he's got 24 studio albums, so I definitely recommend a greatest hits as a starting point, and maybe if you start to like him, check out the box set - I got mine for like $20 at a record store - sure it was falling apart, and the book is torn, but I just wanted the CDs