Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Slayer -- Worcester, MA -- August 4th, 2007

So I saw Slayer for the second time last night (the first time was at Ozzfest 2004, and that didn’t really count since I only knew about 4 songs by them). Now, 3 years and 4.5 classic releases later, I was all set for this bad boy.

Or at least I thought I was. To be honest I’m not sure what I thought of the show, but we’ll get to that later.

I left the house with my Overkill “Fuck You” shirt, which is a slightly trivial detail I know, but being this a Slayer show, I wasn’t sure whether or not the more asshole concert goers would shit on you for what you wear (hell I was slightly unsure whether or not to where a Megadeth shirt, given the rivalries between the two). That, and I didn’t exactly have the gall to weat that shirt anywhere else. Lucky for me I got props from multiple fellow thrashers for my choice!

Before I forget I should probably mention that the first thing I see while standing in line to get in is someone dressed up as Gene Simmons. Like, just hanging out and taking pictures.

So anyways, I get there right in the middle of Bleeding Through’s set. Ugh. When was the memo sent out that if you want to be in style nowadays you have to copy Pantera? At least all the Iron Maiden clones in the 80’s were copying a formula that doesn’t get old (well, ok, it doesn’t get old as quickly as a Pantera formula does, even the “Iron Maiden hater” faction here can admit that). That, and they had a girl keyboard player, which would have been fine if I heard actual keyboards during their show! It’s almost as if the new trend to impress the mallrat kids is to have a girl and a headbanging keyboard player in your band. I do believe it was Iann Robinson who said, “if the draw to your band is the girl in it, it’s time to hang it up.” Oh and they also had a giant backdrop that read “I DON’T GIVE A FUCK!” Well guess what, Bleeding Through, clearly you do give a fuck if you’re willing to pay your hard earned cash to artists willing to draw that up for you. In fact, I’d say that you guys give two shits and a fuck!

Fuck Bleeding Through’s setlist!

So, Slayer. You know, as much as I hate to admit it, these guys have every right to go out and make a new album, tour on it and play it live. Plus I think they only played about three songs from it. How-fucking-ever, that does not give them the right to cocktease. The lights go down and apparently their new intro is “Metal Storm” over the PA. Now I had read somewhere on the internet an interview with Tom where he said that the band wanted to bring back some songs they hadn’t played in a while (which is how I found out about “Ghosts Of War”). As you can imagine, my jaw had literally dropped: “Holy shit! Not only are they bringing back Metal Storm/Face The Slayer, they are opening with it!!!”

Wrong.

Instead after Metal Storm finished they went into whatever post Seasons drivel they’re opening the show with. Dammit Kerry! Your supposed to be the Priest fan, and that logic is like playing “The Hellion” over the PA and then going into “Hot Rockin!” Anyways, the show can basically be split into three parts: the stupid intro followed by a trilogy of classics, a handful of post Seasons bullshit, and a final volley of more classics.

I was rather underwhelmed by the “chaos” that ensues during a Slayer concert. When you take away the myth that surrounds most Slayer concerts, what with the violence and racism and what have you, you aren’t left with alot to be afraid of. I didn’t notice too much violence going on around the venue nor in the moshpit, with one notable exception: the guys right behind me kept moshing each other in their seats (a bunch of dudes at least in their late 30’s) and this fat bastard kept getting knocked across the aisle into a bunch of people. This happened about 3 times, and after the 3rd time he got pissed and walked out. I think the rest of his crew felt pretty bad after that. I actually saw that guy outside waiting for his “friends” as I was walking out, and he asked me if they were still in there. I hope whoever that guy was made it home alright. Tom Araya wasn’t helping matters much either, and kept repeating the same stage raps every song, in his rather “I’m on so many goddamn downers right now” speaking voice.

“Are we all here to have fun?”

If by fun you mean “PLAY CLASSIX!” then yes, Tom we are here for fun. To bad you guys aren’t in the mood for it. That being said, they always seem to be in the mood for putting on a hell of a stage performance. I was watching the band do all these stage movements that I’ve seen a million times before on the internet, and for whatever reason I never acknowledged that like every other band, they have to do that night after night after night. Christ its a wonder those guys can still walk.

Aside from one or two “true metalists” mocking the Marilyn Manson goth kiddies, that really is all there is to report in regards to concert disorder. Which brings us to the man himself. To his credit, Manson’s stage show was a lot different than I was expecting. The place was set up kinda like a bar, even with people sitting at tables and drinking. Also instead of playing his actual songs, it was a bunch of 80’s/90’s rock songs with a few hip hop songs mixed in. And then there were all these scantily clad women dancing around and...

...oh wait a minute. That wasn’t Manson, that was the strip club I went to after Slayer.

No I did not stick around for Manson, I did wait in the venue for maybe a half an hour just to wait out the “I only came here for Slayer” traffic that I would likely get stuck in if I bolted right afterwards.

One final thing I noticed: as much as blabbermouth idiots might tell you otherwise, there wasn’t that much of a drop in attendance after Slayer left.

So let’s review:

1) There are now Gene Simmons impersonators.

2) Bleeding Through do give a fuck ( as well as two shits)

3) As a frontman, Tom Araya makes Ronnie James Dio look like Bruce Dickinson

4) The mosh pit during “Holy Wars” was a lot more violent than Slayer’s entire set.

5) Dave Lombardo has got what A Tribe Called Quest call “the jazz”

6) Sorry PowerMaiden, but Payback does suck live.

7) Champagne rooms are expensive

8) CHEMICAL WARFARE!!!!

Intro: METAL STORM
FLESH STORM(?)
WAR ENSEMBLE
CHEMICAL WARFARE
GHOSTS OF WAR
JIHAD
CULT
BITTER PEACE
DISCIPLE
PAYBACK
SOUTH OF HEAVEN
RAINING BLOOD
HELL AWAITS
==============
MANDATORY SUICIDE
ANGEL OF DEATH

Last edited by JRA; 08-05-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:54 PM
We're dying on the inside

Well, I'd say they basically picked the right Reign/South/Seasons stuff, except maybe Postmortem.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

they always deliver live.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Dharma Wants You

All the guys should be lined up, and kicked straight in the sack for using metal storm as an intro and going into Flesh Storm.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:05 PM
N00B

This is lame, I'd go see them if they ever played a good setlist. And of all the awesome rarer songs to bring back, Bitter Peace and Ghosts Of War? What happened to like Crionics and Skeletons of Society?

Last edited by ADD; 08-05-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Ghosts Of Fire
Old 08-05-2007, 09:13 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post
That'd be a good metal title though
Old 08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
This is lame, I'd go see them if they ever played a good setlist. And of all the awesome rarer songs to bring back, Bitter Peace and Ghosts Of War? What happened to like Crionics and Skeletons of Society?
For all we know, the entire band has probably forgotten about Crionics. The only time they'd ever bring it back is if it was some dying kid's wish from "Make A Wish" or something like that.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Ghosts of War is pretty rare. Last time they played that was on the South of Heaven tour if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
For all we know, the entire band has probably forgotten about Crionics. The only time they'd ever bring it back is if it was some dying kid's wish from "Make A Wish" or something like that.

Tags
slayer