Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 07-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Regretting my username

Before the Dawn of Solace

[WARNING: SUMMER BOREDOM AHEAD]

During my routine scan of myspace, whilst searching for bands similar to Swallow the Sun, Insomnium, Daylight Dies, etc, I came across a band called Before the Dawn. They are from Finland, and play "dark melodic metal", as their site claims. I watched their video for the song Deadsong, and I really liked it. I looked em up on metal-archives, and found they have two singers (one clean and one dark.) Based on their video, I assumed that the clean singer was the "head guy", even though he played the bass and stood off the left of one of the guitarists. Oh well.

Over the past few days, I keep replaying that video. I did some more snooping on metal-archives, and found that one of the guitarists was in a band called Dawn of Solace, also of Finland. In this band, he played all the instruments and dark vocals, but the clean singer from BTD also lent his voice for Dawn's first release. I found that kinda weird. I then found this guitarist's own myspace. His name is Tuomas Saukkonen, and both Before the Dawn and Dawn of Solace are his brain children. The former plays more melodic scandinavian metal, while the former plays more gothic/doom metal. I have instantly fallen in love with both bands, and that is why I wanted to share them with you all. You may not like them, but I really like em, partly because the amount of bands in the same vein as Insomnium, Swallow the Sun, and Daylight Dies is very low. The growled vocals are nothing memorable, but they are well executed, IMO. The clean vocals are a little better, but I'm a pussy, so.

If you are interested in checking them out, heres their homepages, myspaces, and some videos.

Before the Dawn Home
Before the Dawn myspace
Video for Deadsong
Video for Black Dawn

Dawn of Solace Home
Dawn of Solace myspace
Video for Dead Air

A note on the Dead Air video, it just shows the clean singer singing, and then Tuomas walking around the studio and picking up the three different instruments and playing them. Kinda a weird concept, but very well made.

Let me know what you think about these guys.

EDIT: The main Dawn of Solace page says that Fernando of Moonspell and Ville of Moonsorrow will be guests on the new album, set to be recorded this summer. And it says that at least six shows in Finland, with Insomnium, Before the Dawn, and Dawn of Solace. I am sure pulling double duty would have been hard, but those shows would have been so AMAZING!

That is all.

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 07-27-2007 at 04:43 AM.