Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL-- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 AM
N00B

Metallica -- London, UK -- July 7th 2007

Venue - The new Wembley Stadium. Was fucking huge!! holds about 70,000 people and was an incredible sight! the atmosphere was so intense.

Supports-

Matsodon:
Saw them at download and was impressed then, but today in my opinnion they were ok. sound of vocals was poor, good guitar riffs but was lacking something

MachineHead:
These really shook the crowd up, not on for very long but the chants of "MACHINE FUCKING HEAD" was going round the stadium. They kicked ass, I think there set was:

Clenching the fists of dissent
Imperium
Davidian
Halo
Block
(might have missed a song)
They didnt play aesthetics of hate, and i fucking love that song. But the crowd went crazy.

HIM-
That crazy crowd then turned to a roar of "boos" as HIM took the stage, they were fucking awful, i've always hated them. was lame really killed the mood, people were just chanting metallica.

Metallica:

Creeping Death
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Sad But True
Disposable Heroes
The Unforgiven
...And Justice For All
The Memory Remains
The Four Horsemen
Orion
Fade To Black
Master of Puppets
Battery
- - - -
No Leaf Clover
Nothing Else Matters
One
Enter Sandman
- - - -
Whiplash
Seek and Destroy

Metallica played an amazing set, saw them for the 5th time and heard songs ive never heard before like justice, horseman, whiplash, clover and memory. Was so good. was such an amazing performance. Highlight of the show for me was ...and justice for all. I love that song. and also the "Die... Die... Die" bit in creeping death right at they start, so much energy was released!

This proves to me that metallica are still one of the best bands in the world musically, but i think its because they play stuff they've written 15 years ago. But what they play is superb music no matter when it was written which is why they have so many fans,and last night proved that metallica are still on top form!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Nice to see them play Justice (which they brought back into the set just last week in Belgium), but otherwise most of the sets this year have been pretty much the same collection of rotating songs as the last two tours, with the same mainstays in between.

Obviously all these songs are great, but when they stop sucking up to the nay-sayers and play some rare shit off Load, ReLoad and St Anger and some of the rare tracks from Ride The Lightning, let me know. They're Metallica. They don't need to be pandering to popular opinion.

I honestly thought Lars and James had more balls than that.

At least they regularly include I Disappear and No Leaf Clover. Those are great recent songs and shouldn't be overlooked like -Human is... another great song.

Creeping makes the most killer opener though, doesn't it?

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival

Last edited by ravenheart; 07-09-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:24 AM
N00B

dunno how well "rare tracks from load/reload" will go down. I think it would be good to see as it shows how the band has progressed, if they just stuck to the first four albums, then it would be like seeing a bunch of 40 year olds stuck in a time warp!!

But to be fair they do generally include songs off of load, generally rotated between fuel, memory, unforgiven part 2, outlaw and in this case clover in there set. and think a 2/3 songs is all it needs.

In past sets, if they play just the one song form load/reload, they play a "new song" thats coming up on the new album.

In my oppinion, i'd much rather see a rare old track emerge, such as "to live is to die" or "Dyers eve" or "fight fire with fire" or "jump in the fire".

But this is why i love seeing metallica live, cos they always play one or two unexpected songs. Where as with bands like maiden or even megadeth you get the same (good) songs, but they never pull out an old classic.

And yeah creeping death is a wickid opener, but better than blackened (03-04 tour)? I cant decide
Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysadler2 View Post
dunno how well "rare tracks from load/reload" will go down.
Well that's sort of my point. They're big enough and old enough that they shouldn't be concerned with what will "go down well". Their fans, the real fans, will be more accepting than they perhaps think

Quote:
But to be fair they do generally include songs off of load, generally rotated between fuel, memory, unforgiven part 2, outlaw and in this case clover in there set. and think a 2/3 songs is all it needs.
Clover isn't from those albums Yeah, they do rotate those ones. They do King Nothing as well. But that is all they do. Ain't My Bitch, Devil's Dance, 2x4, Hero of The Day, Wasting My Hate, Cure, Bleeding Me, House That Jack Built, Better Than You... these are all good songs. Definitely deserving a place in the rotation. Along with -Human.

Quote:
In past sets, if they play just the one song form load/reload, they play a "new song" thats coming up on the new album.
True... both the new songs are shit though... Especially The Other New Song.

Quote:
In my oppinion, i'd much rather see a rare old track emerge, such as "to live is to die" or "Dyers eve" or "fight fire with fire" or "jump in the fire".
Dyer's Eve made it's debut on the 2004 tour and was played several times. Fight Fire and Jump both appeared on that tour too, I think.

I was thinking more along the lines of Trapped Under Ice, The Frayed Ends of Sanity, The Shortest Straw, Escape, Phantom Lord, Call of The Ktulu (segued into Master forms the best concert opening of any band ever).

Quote:
But this is why i love seeing metallica live, cos they always play one or two unexpected songs. Where as with bands like maiden or even megadeth you get the same (good) songs, but they never pull out an old classic.
Yep, there are three kinds of band. Your Iron Maidens and your Megadeths, who play the same set night after night for an entire tour.

Then there's your Metallicas and Saxons who have a batch of songs, some of which are played every night, although not always in the same order, and the rest are rotated.

Then there's your ultimate bands. Your Allman Brothers, Gov't Mules and Black Crowes, who play a completely different set every night. Warren from Mule even goes so far as to keep a database of all their setlists, which he refers to constantly when creating setlists for shows to make sure they don't play any of the songs they played in that city last time they were there.

Quote:
And yeah creeping death is a wickid opener, but better than blackened (03-04 tour)? I cant decide
Easy for me... I don't like Blackened very much, so it's Creeping all the way.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
N00B

I meant clover as one the newer songs lol

Yeah true with the real fans appreciating any song, i'd like to hear 2x4, king nothing, aint my bitch, outlaw torn etc...

But thats what they've got to weigh up. i'm sure "real" fans would love to hear a rare laod/re-load track, but looking at the majority of the audience i'd say 33.3% were real metallica fans (wearing met club and monsters of rock t.shirts etc.), the rest were stupid 13-16 year olds thinking there metal heads, some of which wearing tshirts promoting newer bands such as bullet for my valentine and trivium, with jet black hair combed over lol, and just know the words to enter sandman and sad but true.

Perhaps this is evident of why they play well known songs, and kinda "rare" songs from the first four albums, cos it is the records that most of these 13-16 year olds have.

But if your paying a ticket to see metallica, you shouldnt care if they play 10 songs from load/reload, and say just 8 from the other albums.

Im a fan of all metallica music, i prefer some more than others, but as a whole its all good.

With the maiden thing, ive seen them a lot of times and the best by far has to be "The early days" in 2005. where they played songs off of there first 4 albums. The set was unbeliveable cos they played songs they hadn't played for years. And also this was at reading festival so al the kids that thought they were metal heads were waiting for songs like "fear of the dark" and "2 minutes to midnight" that they didnt play. But hearing songs like phantom of the opera, die with your boots on, remember tomorrow was awesome!
This i think was a one off for maiden in recent years and i think no maiden set in the future is gonna top that.

To hears dyers eve on the 04 tour would be good, when i saw them in 03, probably on the same tour (madly in anger with the world tour) they played hit the lights which was so cool and also Harvester of sorrow which is one of my best metallica songs but that was common during the tour

Dream theater is also a great band that change setlists.

Battery as opener better than creeping?

Also what do you think of covers from Garage being put into there setlists?
Ive seen am i evil and die die my darling which was cool, id love to see astronomy and mercyful fate!

Last edited by jaysadler2; 07-09-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM

They do Am I Evil, Helpless, Last Caress, Die, Die My Darling, Whiskey In The Jar, Turn The Page, Stone Cold Crazy and So What! pretty regularly.

Breadfan and Killing Time popped up on the 04 tour a bit as well. I think The Wait did too, although I could be wrong.

I would kill for The Small Hours, myself.

With Maiden, look out for next year. Powerslave stage set with setlist the next few albums...

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

if only Jamz could still sing :rollereyes:

Cheers !
P÷werMaiden
Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

what, nothing from St. Anger?

I haven't seen Met since 1997. I'd definitely go see them if that was the set list.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Where all the white women at?

Quote:
Maiden, Priest, Slayer. yes
Deth. no

Really wrong about that. Deth is never gonna stop playing their classics like Metallica is never going to stop playing their classics. but both bands add new songs in and out all the time.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylpriest View Post
Maiden, Priest, Slayer. yes
Deth. no

Really wrong about that. Deth is never gonna stop playing their classics like Metallica is never going to stop playing their classics. but both bands add new songs in and out all the time.
Maiden always play the same songs. Im a fan of maiden but they never/very rarely change a set on a tour, like throw in a couple of unexpected rare songs off of old classic albums such as killers or piece of mind, or even recent album like dance of death and brave new world.

Maiden are great live and i love them, but it would be better if they done what metallica did in the sense of jumbling songs around, say play 1 or 2 songs off of early album, 1 or 2 off of recent album, couple off of new album etc.

Tags
machine head, metallica