Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 PM
N00B

Titan -- A Raining Sun Of Light And Love, For You And You And You

TITAN- A Raining Sun Of Light And Love, For You And You And You (Tee Pee Records)

The notorious stoner hippies at Tee Pee Records have somehow pried TITAN's A Raining Sun Of Light And Love, For You And You And You from some time machine set back about half a century, and have dutifully provided the world with another fine specimen of drugged-out psychedelic space rock. Presumably tripping balls on just about all of nature's proverbial forbidden fruits (and clearly having worn out their vinyl copies of anything released from 1965 to 1975), New York's TITAN have seemingly conjured up the spirits of Hendrix and Morrison to provide them with the ability to create such utterly hippietastic music. The guitars ooze out a dreamy swirling vortex of brilliant sound that could only be culled from some seriously vintage rigs, and no doubt endless hours of jamming and noodling about with the delay/flange set to high. Of course, they do turn the fuzzy distortion down enough at times to allow room for some clean guitar and even acoustic portions, while the use of keyboard and organ remains essential. The drumming has a wonderfully loose, jazzy feel to it, keeping the rhythms interesting along with the bass while the lead instruments go off on their tangents. A sense of improvisational flair permeates every song, but never does it seem to descend beyond the realms of the expected amount of self-indulgence that would be present on such a record. In short, this is not by any means a boring listen, rather one from which the listener can gain fresh enjoyment from time and time again.

Right from the lucid acoustic guitar intro to the albums opener "Annals Of The Former World" giving way to a great keyboard-driven riff, the rare use of vocals recalling those of many a forgotten underground band from the 60's and 70's, its easy to tell the direction the album will take, and despite possessing a resounding air of progginess throughout, there is not a ton of variety in terms of how the style moves as the record goes along. Sometimes its straightforward groovin' rock & roll, other times its spaced-out hectic jamming, but all the while through the 4 songs and over 40 minutes of music TITAN remain firmly rooted in the vintage sound of a bygone time in music. Ridiculous, nonsensical songtitles like "Hashishin Ohel", "Obelisk Orbit Overdrive", and "Averuf Der Pilze" are just icing on the cake to adding another layer of authenticity to the whole package.

This is definitely another solid record in the line of really cool music being created by the various dedicated practitioners of this underground resurgence in classic prog rock that has been happening more and more as of late, TITAN are another awesome group of guys set on making honest music that they themselves want to hear, exactly the kind of way music should be made.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I wasn't that impressed with this when I reviewed it... erm... in March or whenever it was it came out...

http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/03/21...of-light-love/

... I appear to have forgotten to change the "File under" line on that one... I'll fix that later.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I wasn't that impressed with this when I reviewed it... erm... in March or whenever it was it came out...

http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/03/21...of-light-love/

... I appear to have forgotten to change the "File under" line on that one... I'll fix that later.
I'm not gettin the same vibe as you, how much Cathedral and Clutch have you really listened to? Because Titan are definitely not in the same style as either one. Hawkwind yes definitely, but Dream Theater? No chance.

Also the album was originally out in January, I'm doing my reviews chronologically starting from the beginning of the year.

Last edited by ADD; 06-28-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I'm not gettin the same vibe as you, how much Cathedral and Clutch have you really listened to? Because Titan are definitely not in the same style as either one. Hawkwind yes definitely, but Dream Theater? No chance.
Heh. Cathedral - absolutely everything. Clutch not everything... probably about half their catalogue. Seen Cathedral live three times and Clutch once.

I didn't say they were in the same style. I said they mixed in elements of their style. And in particular Cathedral's long proggy stuff.

And there's whole heaps of Dream Theater in Obelisk..., with plenty of additional weird sounds over the top. Again, didn't say they sound like Dream Theater, I said there's Dream Theater in there.

Quote:
Also the album was originally out in January, I'm doing my reviews chronologically starting from the beginning of the year.
Again, not here it wasn't. Promo copies were issued in March and it was actually released on April 2nd. Hence a March review.

But no, you're right, I didn't get the same vibe... I found it a technically proficient, but very boring album. For instrumental stuff give me Canvas Solaris any day.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Heh. Cathedral - absolutely everything. Clutch not everything... probably about half their catalogue. Seen Cathedral live three times and Clutch once.

I didn't say they were in the same style. I said they mixed in elements of their style. And in particular Cathedral's long proggy stuff.

And there's whole heaps of Dream Theater in Obelisk..., with plenty of additional weird sounds over the top. Again, didn't say they sound like Dream Theater, I said there's Dream Theater in there.

Again, not here it wasn't. Promo copies were issued in March and it was actually released on April 2nd. Hence a March review.

But no, you're right, I didn't get the same vibe... I found it a technically proficient, but very boring album. For instrumental stuff give me Canvas Solaris any day.
Ahh well ok then

Canvas Solaris is wonderful too man
Old 06-29-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Canvas Solaris is wonderful too man
Wait 'til you hear the new album

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull