Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 04-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Metal Tours Skipping The San Francisco Bay Area

Check out this blog piece by Cheryl Eddy on the state of metal in the San Francisco Bay Area.

"Since the Pound closed, other people have had to step up. I was hoping that Slim's would really pick up on it, and they've taken some of it," he says, adding that venues such as the Oakland Metro, Bottom of the Hill, and the Great American Music Hall have also begun booking more metal shows. However, he continues, "I've noticed that we've lost a lot of [metal shows], because a lot of the tours are skipping over the Bay Area now."

Immediately after the Pound's closure, the Bourbon Street Bar & Grill in Concord looked like it would pick up slack. Now it just has karaoke on the calendar. The Oakland Metro has had a couple of shows. Certainly, Slim's has put on the most but it's just economical for a 100 person Goatwhore shows.

Extreme metal is largely skipping the Bay Area now, and a lot of us are having to look toward Southern California for our fix. Savage and Insipid used to put on the chunk of those shows here. I count on one hand, a couple of fingers really, the number of metal gig on their calendar. Gone are the $10-$20 just-check-em-out shows I enjoyed so much at the Pound. Sure, LA has them a plenty but what's the point of a $15 show when it costs $150 in gas and requires so much damn time just for travel?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Blunts.

i dunno . . . . im going to see finntroll, nightwish, and edguy this fall, all at slims.

The pound will be missed, but slims is taking hold of the flame as best it can imo.

of course, there are those damned pillars
Old 04-15-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDrummer888 View Post
i dunno . . . . im going to see finntroll, nightwish, and edguy this fall, all at slims.

The pound will be missed, but slims is taking hold of the flame as best it can imo.

of course, there are those damned pillars
Operative words in your post: THIS FALL. Until then... ?????

I will be seeing those shows too. All of those bands will sell out Slim's.

The bigger point: Do you remember when the Pound would have 20+ metal shows alone on its schedule?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned Asshole

I want back the shitty hole back where I could see extreme bands for 15 bucks, hang out with another 50 extreme metalheads who have their shit together and know their metal

Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouville View Post
I want back the shitty hole back where I could see extreme bands for 15 bucks, hang out with another 50 extreme metal heads who have their shit together and know their metal

Once or twice a year, Bouville concisely and correctly nails it...
Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Blunts.

see its different for me, because i cant drive and im not the same age as you guys so i could never just go to every metal show and get wasted down there 2 times a month . . . i would have loved to, but it just wasnt a possibility for me. Now that it is, it is indeed said that the one place i could do that has closed

but in terms of seeing bands that i actually really want to see, i think slims is holding up pretty well.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
see its different for me, because i cant drive and im not the same age as you guys so i could never just go to every metal show and get wasted down there 2 times a month . . . i would have loved to, but it just wasnt a possibility for me. Now that it is, it is indeed said that the one place i could do that has closed

but in terms of seeing bands that i actually really want to see, i think slims is holding up pretty well.
It is not about getting wasted. For example, Slim's will never take Amorphis as a headliner nor, Cryptopsy, Cattle Decapitation, Goatwhore nor Therion. Those bands could only take a max of 100 people here and that's not business for Slim's. The club scene has been shoot to death.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouville View Post
It is not about getting wasted. For example, Slim's will never take Amorphis as a headliner nor, Cryptopsy, Cattle Decapitation, Goatwhore nor Therion. Those bands could only take a max of 100 people here and that's not business for Slim's. The club scene has been shoot to death.

How much does Slim's hold?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Twice a month? Not even twice a year. It's a novelty to get wasted at a concert... I'm usually driving Bouville around instead.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
How much does Slim's hold?
500 +/- is capacity. I've been to shows there with attendence higher than that. Slim's packed is probably 750-800.