Unearth -- Ottawa, ON -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, ON -- April 13th, 2014
Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014

Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Against Me! -- Tucson, Arizona -- March 19th, 2007

This was my second time seeing Against Me!; I saw them open for Alkaline Trio about a year ago, but it was a bigger venue and they played a short set, so I was dying to see them headline, and in a much smaller venue to boot.

I was really bummed out when I got to the venue, because one of the opening bands, Riverboat Gamblers, had canceled. I had picked up their CD when I heard they were going to being opening, and I really enjoyed it and was looking forward to seeing them. Oh well.

The first band to go on was Streetside Prophet. I'll say this: It's the first time I've ever been blown away by an unknown opening act. They play melodic punk along the vein of Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music, and The Lawrence Arms. I talked them after the show, and was pretty shocked that they were still in high school! They're from Phoenix, and were called up to play the show the night before, and were pretty stoked about it. I talked to them for a while, they were really nice guys, and gave me a copy of their EP (which I'm listening to at this very moment). Long story short, they were fucking amazing, and played with a lot of heart. I expect good things from them.

Next up was Fake Problems. They impressed me quite a bit as well. They have a really unique sound that I can only describe as country-fried dance punk. Yeah. They were really fun, and the bassist told a hilarious story about getting caught up in a dust devil when he was standing outside before the show. Even though Streetside Prophet were the ones in high school, Fake Problems looked a hell of a lot younger. Nobody but the bassist looked a day over 13. Their music was really fun, but it got a little boring towards the end, maybe because I was so psyched to see Against Me!

AM! came out and the place went fucking nuts. They played three of my favorite songs right off the bat, and the entire floor was a mass of pumping fists and people screaming along to the words. Here's the setlist, which I'm 100% sure is accurate. The first three songs and the encore are in order, the rest is not:

Pints of Guinness Make You Strong
Cliche Guevara
Problems
Sink, Florida, Sink
Rice and Bread
You Look Like I Need a Drink
Those Anarcho Punks Are Mysterious
Reinventing Axl Rose
I Still Love You Julie
From Her Lips To God's Ears (The Energizer)
Don't Lose Touch
Americans Abroad
New Wave (new song)
Ocean (new song)
Full Session (new song)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

T.S.R. (This Shit Rules)
Walking Is Still Honest
The Disco Before the Breakdown

I was kind of disappointed not to get "We Laugh At Danger (And Break All the Rules)," but otherwise it was a pretty outstanding set. They played three new songs, too. "New Wave" was the best one, and the other two were alright. I'm hoping they'll grow on me when the record comes out. I met 3 of the 4 band members, all of whom were very nice. I got Tom to sign my ticket stub. It was definitely one of the best shows I've been to, and seeing AM! as headliners in a tiny venue is one more thing I can cross off my concert wish list

PS- They played "The Wolf Is Loose" by Mastodon over the PA before AM!'s set. Foreshadowing of the upcoming tour, perhaps?

Last edited by powerslave_85; 03-20-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 AM
We're dying on the inside

Assuming all goes as planned and I see them open for Mastodon, I'll share my thoughts. Glad you had a good time though.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Regretting my username

Dont really like the band, partly because I dont like punk, and partly because I havent listened to many of their songs......but they have some cool song titles...

Cliche Guevara is my favorite
Old 03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
You Look Like I Need a Drink
I can relate
Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Where all the white women at?

I don't like this set at all
No Miami, Mediocrity, Unprotected Sex, or Violence.

Searching For a Former Clarity is up there in my all time favorite CD's but...sheesh.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylpriest View Post

I don't like this set at all
No Miami, Mediocrity, Unprotected Sex, or Violence.

Searching For a Former Clarity is up there in my all time favorite CD's but...sheesh.
Ha, I'm the opposite, dude. They did a lot off of Clarity the first time I saw them, so I'm glad they did a lot of older stuff this time. They played "Problems," so I was a happy camper. "Miami" would have been cool, though.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Ha, I'm the opposite, dude. They did a lot off of Clarity the first time I saw them, so I'm glad they did a lot of older stuff this time. They played "Problems," so I was a happy camper. "Miami" would have been cool, though.
Problems=
From Her Lips To God's Ears=

I really wanna hear the new songs. I hope Sink Florida Sink was electric Did you get to me Warren? I love that guy. He's so nice.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylpriest View Post
Problems=
From Her Lips To God's Ears=

I really wanna hear the new songs. I hope Sink Florida Sink was electric Did you get to me Warren? I love that guy. He's so nice.
Yes, Sink Florida Sink was electric. And yeah, I met Warren. He was really cool. I told him that I'd seen them last year with Alkaline Trio, and he was like "Much better this time, huh?" I also met Tom and Andrew.

I really couldn't have asked for a better setlist. Last year they didn't do Pints of Guinness or Cliche Guevara, and this time they opened with those two. It's like they read my mind

Last edited by powerslave_85; 03-20-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, Sink Florida Sink was electric. And yeah, I met Warren. He was really cool. I told him that I'd seen them last year with Alkaline Trio, and he was like "Much better this time, huh?" I also met Tom and Andrew.
Your an asshole
At least I'm seeing them when they come with Mastodon. Any news when the new CD comes out?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 PM

I don't think there's a release date for the album yet. It's still "late spring." I'm guessing probably not till May.

Tags
against me!