Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 03-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Regretting my username

I'm not telling anyone to believe in my ideas. I am asking everyone to keep their minds open, and realize that the theory of evolution is not entirely sound, and shouldn't be taught like it is....We are just sheeple when we believe every word a scientist says, just because they are a scientist.....I believe that in this country, we need to look at scientific claims like we look at a foreign policy or a bill; with more scrutiny and skepticism.

And on the matter of bigotry and closemindedness.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
On gravity -- that's exactly my point. There's no problem with you believing that gravity is caused by God. That may be reasonable and it may be true. But it sure as hell isn't science
That made it seem like you were discrediting my beliefs/ideas just because they arent science. For some reason, in my head maybe, it sounds like you offer religion as a possibility, but it is somehow less plausible because it isnt in the elite realm of 'science.'
Old 03-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
..And you know what... here : http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

I've kept quiet this whole time, but I'll just say there's a hell of a lot more holes in your argument then there are in the theory of evolution.
Do you really think a site explaining and providing evidence for evolution will provide the explanation for the holes in the theory? No....thats like the Vatican explaining Catholicism, and then telling you how to be a sinner or atheist.

You have to look for the opposing views....I had a few good links...if I find them again I will post them......
Old 03-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned Asshole

As a scholar professionally devoted to the study of social evolution and with a fair acquaintance of Darwinian evolution I must say I am completely appalled by the lack of knowledge about key facts that any person who wants to engage into a debate about evolution should know. Also the total misunderstanding of the concept of science bothers me and worries me deeply. I do not know where to begin with… this concerns me as a scholar as a social scientist.

Science is a cumulative endeavor that has broad chronological frameworks. To accuse science of not having the answers in a particular time is just silly. What cannot be explained or addressed in an efficient or convincing matter now, will be in the future. It is completely silly to pretend to equal beliefs or faith with empirically tested knowledge. There is an epistemology inherent in any scientific endeavor and for that matter Darwinian evolution is a component of that big spectrum of knowledge that can be labeled as Science. There is no epistemology in Theology there is ontology but no epistemology and it is totally irrationally to pretend to compare and antagonize two entities that do not share a common ground in the way they logically and formally operate.

And just for the record, do not make me start with the archaeological record that exists about the process of human evolution. I do not have to remind you all that I am a professional archaeologist and if anybody wants to dispute archaeological evidence with me… it can be pretty ugly.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Regretting my username

ALL HAIL TO SCIENCE!!! SCIENCE H. LOGIC HELP US!!!! SCIENCE BLESS US ALL!!

On that note, I have no problem with science...I would love to delve deeper and expand my knowledge in the scientific field.....but the fact of the matter is.......There are holes in the theory of evolution (transitional fossils, for one) that science either CANT explain or hasnt explained yet. If in the future, science explains these things, then I will sit on my hands and accept the theory....

The fact of the matter is...microevolution is real, Darwin hit the nail on the head, species do adapt to their surrounding, that is observable and is thus a fact......Macroevolution isnt entirely proven....I believe in the realm of science, for a theory to be validated or invalidated, a scientist must submit a claim or theory, his peers review it, they point out the proven/observable/testable aspects (which the entire scientific community did with evolution), and then when someone points out a flaw, the scientists must then address these issues. In all the things I have read, I only see Creationists calling scientists heretics, and scientists calling Creationists moron. Some middle ground must be met, where certain ideas are held as facts, and other questionable aspects are tested further and explained.....The issue has become too polarized

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 03-12-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:26 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
ALL HAIL TO SCIENCE!!! SCIENCE H. LOGIC HELP US!!!! SCIENCE BLESS US ALL!!
Drugs are bad, m'kay?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Drugs are bad, m'kay?
"Beware Time Child; I will crack your head like a clam on my tummy!"
Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Do you really think a site explaining and providing evidence for evolution will provide the explanation for the holes in the theory? No....thats like the Vatican explaining Catholicism, and then telling you how to be a sinner or atheist.

You have to look for the opposing views....I had a few good links...if I find them again I will post them......
So you didn't read it.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
So you didn't read it.
I'm done arguing whether evolution is true or not......For one, it is against the law. Secondly, everyone is missing my whole point...which isnt to disprove all of science, but to encourage more critical looks at the theory of evolution.

I'm done. Shouldnt have ever brought it up...no one understands what I am trying to get at, so its pointless..

I am currently reading 1984 by George Orwell and trying to finish Dante's Inferno.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned Asshole

Just to clarify one thing, there are four elements that can induce descent with modification.

Drift
Mutation
Migration
Adaptation

As you all can see, adaptation is just one element on the general picture.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
I'm done arguing whether evolution is true or not......For one, it is against the law. Secondly, everyone is missing my whole point...which isnt to disprove all of science, but to encourage more critical looks at the theory of evolution.

I'm done. Shouldnt have ever brought it up...no one understands what I am trying to get at, so its pointless..

I am currently reading 1984 by George Orwell and trying to finish Dante's Inferno.
If you want to engage into this type of arguments, you must be much better prepared and informed.

What puzzles me is that even thought one of the most conservative entities, the Roman Catholic Church has acknowledged that evolution is a solid scientific theory, most people refuse to concede that.