Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Old 01-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Regretting my username

The metal scene here in Troy is almost nonexistent (except Occams Razor), but Dayton, Springfield and alot of the Miami Valley has alot of 'true' death metal and thrash bands rising up.

IE: Thinktank, Reaper, Solidification.

But also the post-rock sludge metal scene is growing, which is also cool.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
The "metal scene" in Toledo is at best "hardcore" and worst "screamo." We just played our first major gig in Toledo opening for Dead to Fall and the other local openers, uggggh. We soundchecked a chunk of "Heaven and Hell" and got a lot of blank stares. Once we kicked into our set (which is more "modern" sounding) we won the crowd over, but we had a ton of people come up to us after the show "Wow, your vocalist actually... sings!" That didn't sit well with the "hardcore" band on after us though, they were constantly shouting at us from side stage. I wanted to pull a Blaze and after a song just start yelling "FUCKING KILL HIM!" But we just ignored them.
Why not pull a Bruce and go "I'll rip of your fucking head, and shove it up your butt you stupid dick face!"
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post

However, the headline is what caught my eye. In our market (the San Francisco Bay Area), there are fewer and fewer metal shows. Even when the Pound was open, the last couple of months weren't exactly that active. It makes me think metal isn't as strong in 2007 as it was in 2005. What's it like where you live?
Apparently you might not have your eyes open. There are shows around here almost constantly, it makes my head spin and at the same time feel so upset that I can't make any of them Not a lot of people are familiar with the Bay Area scene on this board, but it's actually thriving pretty well in the underground circles. Hell, even on the more knowledgeable metal scale, there's at least a show per week worth watching. You just need to be more aware I think, that or have broader tastes, because where most of the shit is going down is in the doom/sludge/black/thrash arena. The Bay Area scene is definitely strong as it has been since the 80's I think, looking at the amount of shows there are and the talent of bands in this area. Sadly lots of people are oblivious to it. Their loss I guess.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:29 PM
We're dying on the inside

The Dayton scene is terrific
Old 01-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Apparently you might not have your eyes open. There are shows around here almost constantly, it makes my head spin and at the same time feel so upset that I can't make any of them Not a lot of people are familiar with the Bay Area scene on this board, but it's actually thriving pretty well in the underground circles. Hell, even on the more knowledgeable metal scale, there's at least a show per week worth watching. You just need to be more aware I think, that or have broader tastes, because where most of the shit is going down is in the doom/sludge/black/thrash arena. The Bay Area scene is definitely strong as it has been since the 80's I think, looking at the amount of shows there are and the talent of bands in this area. Sadly lots of people are oblivious to it. Their loss I guess.
Insipid Productions has exactly one show on its schedule. Savage Productions has a couple scheduled out through March. Where did all the $10-$15 Pound shows go? The Metro? Not really? Bourbon Street in Concord? A couple? The Cave in San Jose puts on all ages shows but they're aren't exactly importing Scandavian Metal... mostly local and regional acts playing in various South Bay churches and community centers.

The Pound was part of a regional circuit. Often, routing would go from The Boardwalk up in Sac to the Pound down to LA at the Key Club or similiar size venue. Ditto for the Warfield to down the House of Blues. Danzig played Santa Cruz during his two week Black of The Black. The Jager tour with Stone Sour and Lacuna Coil is skipping our market entirely. A little odd...

How underground do you really need to go? Garages? Basements? All local bands? Can you tell me who is promoting all these shows you mentioned? The venues?

My last show was Dark Funeral & Enslaved. Before that, Celtic Frost & Goatwhore. You know my love for power cheddar. That's a very broad metal range in my book. I'm missing a ton of reviews but there's no one here that can substantively dispute my credentials based on show attendance, either in our area or Southern California and beyond.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:37 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
Insipid Productions has exactly one show on its schedule. Savage Productions has a couple scheduled out through March. Where did all the $10-$15 Pound shows go? The Metro? Not really? Bourbon Street in Concord? A couple? The Cave in San Jose puts on all ages shows but they're aren't exactly importing Scandavian Metal... mostly local and regional acts playing in various South Bay churches and community centers.

The Pound was part of a regional circuit. Often, routing would go from The Boardwalk up in Sac to the Pound down to LA at the Key Club or similiar size venue. Ditto for the Warfield to down the House of Blues. Danzig played Santa Cruz during his two week Black of The Black. The Jager tour with Stone Sour and Lacuna Coil is skipping our market entirely. A little odd...

How underground do you really need to go? Garages? Basements? All local bands? Can you tell me who is promoting all these shows you mentioned? The venues?

My last show was Dark Funeral & Enslaved. Before that, Celtic Frost & Goatwhore. You know my love for power cheddar. That's a very broad metal range in my book. I'm missing a ton of reviews but there's no one here that can substantively dispute my credentials based on show attendance, either in our area or Southern California and beyond.
You seem to be talking about (relatively, for metal I mean) "big name" bands. I'm talking about the shows they do at Bottom Of The Hill, 12 Galaxies, even Slims, places like that. There's a ton of bands in this area constantly doing shows. If you want I know of a place that keeps a pretty good itinerary of shows going on here, spanning every range pretty much of rock/metal acts. I know you are more down with the acts on a national/international scene, but there's so much right here in our immediate area.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
You seem to be talking about (relatively, for metal I mean) "big name" bands. I'm talking about the shows they do at Bottom Of The Hill, 12 Galaxies, even Slims, places like that. There's a ton of bands in this area constantly doing shows. If you want I know of a place that keeps a pretty good itinerary of shows going on here, spanning every range pretty much of rock/metal acts. I know you are more down with the acts on a national/international scene, but there's so much right here in our immediate area.
Big name bands for metal. Sometimes I wonder how some of these touring bands even put gas in their transportation. San Francisco is a bit far (not so immediate for me) and costly (gas/parking) for frequent hangouts, so I don't make it up there often for the local scene. I usually encounter local bands when they open up for bigger acts... I have a nice little collection going of music from them. I may check out some Cave productions soon... the price is certainly right.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
The Dayton scene is terrific
I got on myspace and found more than 100 death metal bands hiding in Dayton...some real hardcore shit...
Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I got on myspace and found more than 100 death metal bands hiding in Dayton...some real hardcore shit...
Bands are everywhere, people just gotta do the work to find 'em.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Bands are everywhere, people just gotta do the work to find 'em.
most were Satanic Deicide wanna-bes.....but cool to find out that a scene DOES exist.