Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-15-2007, 10:59 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I hope that when they write lyrics for it, it's told through the eyes of a victim and viciously attacks Nazism. Then I can say I told you so
IMO
The only right way to talk about anything having to do with Nazis is from a historical point of view, and neither the antagonist's or the victim's... Rather a historical overview, same goes for most war songs. See Maiden lyrics for reference.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:23 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
IMO
The only right way to talk about anything having to do with Nazis is from a historical point of view, and neither the antagonist's or the victim's... Rather a historical overview, same goes for most war songs. See Maiden lyrics for reference.
I disagree. 90% of Maiden's "historical" songs are like reading a passage from a textbook: all they do is tell you what happened. Just, you know, without the historical accuracy part. In my opinion, the Iron Maiden way is boring - not wrong - but boring.

Let me give you an example. I'm writing a song called "The Underground" and it's about the sarin gas attacks on the Tokyo subway system in 1995. There were quite a few victims, and most of the antagonists are still on trial to this day. I could approach this song from any number of angles. I could do a Maiden "here's what happened" song, which I won't, because I find that to be a ho-hum operation in creativity, I could write a song from the point of view of somebody who rode the subway or worked for the subway (be they a victim or not) or I could write a song from the point of view of the cult that perpetrated the attacks, either from the point of view of one of the people that carried it out, or from the point of view of the leader of the cult.

Or I could try any other number of random/hybrid approaches. Honestly, I don’t know where we’ll be going with this particular song, but I have ideas in mind.

Anyways, I think it’s ludicrous to say there’s a right or wrong way to cover history in songs. I personally think one of the more interesting things to do with history is to either insert yourself into it, ie. What would you do if you were in a particular historical situation? Or somehow relating or using history for other means. We have a song called “Hell Is Here” and the gist of the song is man’s desire for conflict. As a way to find some direction for the lyrics, our vocalist and I sat down and went through every year of the 20th century and looked at what armed conflicts America participated in and how they related to each other. For instance, our invasion of the Philippines which was a convenient staging point for our involvement in not one, but two foreign civil wars that did not directly concern us. Interesting stuff, as far as I’m concerned.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:31 PM
N00B

When someone besides Metallica or Megadeth writes a war song as good as any of Maiden's, lemme know.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:50 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
When someone besides Metallica or Megadeth writes a war song as good as any of Maiden's, lemme know.
A "war song" can be a good song regardless of its lyrics.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:55 PM
N00B

Quote:
A "war song" can be a good song regardless of its lyrics.
Of course, and usually that's the case. Which is why Maiden wins 98% of the time in these songs because to me they play better music than everyone Metallica and Megadeth have some outstanding war songs however so they definitely beat some of Maiden's weaker ones.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
I can think of two right off the top of my head...

Sabbath - War Pigs - it's about politics, as opposed to do either ripping off a poem or movie, or merely relating what actually happened.

Queensryche - Surgical Strike - about how we train ("program") soldiers, pretty interesting, as it's about warfare, but not a specific war
Old 01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Of course, and usually that's the case. Which is why Maiden wins 98% of the time in these songs because to me they play better music than everyone Metallica and Megadeth have some outstanding war songs however so they definitely beat some of Maiden's weaker ones.
I mean, not everybody can use the same chord progression 80% of the time
Old 01-15-2007, 01:00 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
I can think of two right off the top of my head...

Sabbath - War Pigs - it's about politics, as opposed to do either ripping off a poem or movie, or merely relating what actually happened.

Queensryche - Surgical Strike - about how we train ("program") soldiers, pretty interesting, as it's about warfare, but not a specific war
Yes and yes

As for Megadeth and Metallica, hell yes. Slayer used to write good ones too.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:01 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Yes and yes

As for Megadeth and Metallica, hell yes. Slayer used to write good ones too.
I like a lot of Megadeth's war related songs. "Peace Sells" for the win
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
I mean, not everybody can use the same chord progression 80% of the time
I laugh at people who think that the same chord progression over and over again in a song makes it a bad song.