Satan -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 14th, 2014
Dave Mustaine with San Diego Symphony -- San Diego, CA -- April 12th, 2014

Old 12-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Dharma Wants You

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
Wolf, maybe.

Jack, no.
Also I would think after it picks up, ' Dracula ' is sort of thrashy.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Shredder

[quote=overkiller;138085]

There is just so much wrong with this post.

[quote]

go on then.... tell me what's right... Do your best.
28th Eric Clapton
Old 12-29-2006, 03:50 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakbobcat View Post
go on then.... tell me what's right... Do your best.
OK.

Quote:
I'd be happy to run this too...
But also, i've been talking with my friends, and we all agree that Iron Maiden are closer to Power Metal than HEAVY METAL, or they could go under Classic Metal.
I don't think this is right, but maybe you can convince me.

Quote:
Also where is Nu-Metal?? Godsmack, Slipknot, Disturbed, KoRn, Stone Sour
Nu-metal is really a misnomer as the bands which carry that tag aren't metal at all.

Quote:
Where's Motley Crue, Quiet Riot and Def Leppard?
Although Motley Crue's old stuff is bonafide heavy metal, everything after those great albums lands them in the Glam genre, which places them outside of Metal and into Rock. Quiet Riot and Def Leppard are essentially Rock bands.

Quote:
Also i don't see Rammstein, Skid Row, Saxon, BLack Label Society, Machinehead, Lamb Of God, Chidren Of Bodom *as stated above, System Of A Down, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Tool, WASP, Yngwie Malmsteen, Soil, Cradle Of Filth???
Rammstein isn't metal. Skid Row is metal, but too peripheral to really garner a mention in something like what Brad was doing with this thread (although I'm really not even sure what that is...). Saxon are a great mention. BLS, Machinehead, and Lamb of God can go to hell. COB, sure, whatever, but people are gonna get their panties in a knot if you try to place them in a genre because they can't accept that they're a power/speed band (the vocals do NOT make them a death or black band). System of a Down are horrible and not metal. Trivium are false; ripping off Metallica does not make you oldschool and does not cover up the fact that you are a shitty metalcore band. Bullet for My Valentine are horrible and are more -core than metal. Tool aren't metal. W.A.S.P., well, hell yeah. Yngwie is just shred, you don't need to mention him. Soil--?? don't know them. Cradle of Filth, well, they aren't necessarily as bad as everyone says, but they're hard to put in a genre. They're like traditional metal with extreme and gothic elements.

Quote:
You may even want to include some others that are considered Metal:
-Avenged Sevenfold
-Bleeding Through
-Atreyu
-36 Crazyfists
-Evanescence (Gothic Metal)
-Lacuna Coil
-Nightwish
-Within Temptation
-Killswitch Engage
-All That Remains
-Converge
-Unearth
-The Haunted
-Marilyn Manson
-Nine Inch Nails
-A Perfect Circle
-Montrose
-Mountain
-The Scorpions
-Static-X
-Whitesnake
-UFO

Now surely there must be some you're missing there..
Did you mean to say "You may even want to include some others that are NOT considered Metal"? Avenged Sevenfold are not metal. Bleeding Through as far as I know are a core band and not metal. Same for Atreyu. 36 Crazyfists, from what I understand they fit the same bill. Evanescence are not metal. Lacuna Coil... you can call them metal, but I personally don't like to do so. I think of them more as a pop-rock band with some elements that get them the metal tag. Nightwish, ok, whatever, but you can skip them. Within Temptation, I'm not familiar with them except by name, which means they're probably peripheral enough to not need a mention, but I think they're metal. Killswitch Engage, more -core than metal. All That Remains, aren't they a shit melodeath band? Converge, not metal. Unearth, don't know them, aren't they also shit melodeath? The Haunted, melodeath halfthrash, avoid like the plague. Marilyn Manson, not metal (unless you are dumb enough to believe VH1). Nine Inch Nails? Hello?? What would possess you to think they're metal? A Perfect Circle are great but are far from metal. Mountain? Are you talking about the 70s rock band? Scorpions, sure, I'll give you them, although they're closer to rock in many places. Static-X, nu-"metal" crap. Whitesnake, glam. UFO, sure, but like the Scorpions, they walk the line between rock and metal.

That wasted more time than I thought it would. Hopefully you'll get a little bit of education out of it.

Last edited by overkiller; 12-29-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
What about self titled and parts of Horror Show?
The s/t... I'll give you that. It's really inferior to the two albums that followed it, but it's mostly more or less thrash, just plagued by poor songwriting.

As for Horror Show... this basically applies for all later Iced Earth: Sure, it's got some thrashy riffs a la Jon's incessant rhythmic palm-muting, but their music simply has more of a heavy/traditional metal sound and feel than anything resembling thrash. Calling Iced Earth a thrash band really just isn't right.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Regretting my username

THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT BRADY!!!!

Thank you for not ripping CoF apart
Old 12-29-2006, 04:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Thank you for not ripping CoF apart
No, I mean, they're an easy target because of their retarded mallcore fanbase, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a couple of their songs. It's that "Maiden-on-crack" stuff, it's amusing. For the most part, they're just a mediocre band, not a terrible one. That's not to say they don't have some material that's absolute shit, cause they do.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
No, I mean, they're an easy target because of their retarded mallcore fanbase, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a couple of their songs. It's that "Maiden-on-crack" stuff, it's amusing. For the most part, they're just a mediocre band, not a terrible one. That's not to say they don't have some material that's absolute shit, cause they do.
Yeah...They are by far not the best band out there, and some of their songs suck HARD. But on the flip side, some songs really stand out.

NP:
Her Ghost in the Fog-Cradle of Filth
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Shredder

Quote:
OK.

I don't think this is right, but maybe you can convince me.

Nu-metal is really a misnomer as the bands which carry that tag aren't metal at all.

Although Motley Crue's old stuff is bonafide heavy metal, everything after those great albums lands them in the Glam genre, which places them outside of Metal and into Rock. Quiet Riot and Def Leppard are essentially Rock bands.

Rammstein isn't metal. Skid Row is metal, but too peripheral to really garner a mention in something like what Brad was doing with this thread (although I'm really not even sure what that is...). Saxon are a great mention. BLS, Machinehead, and Lamb of God can go to hell. COB, sure, whatever, but people are gonna get their panties in a knot if you try to place them in a genre because they can't accept that they're a power/speed band (the vocals do NOT make them a death or black band). System of a Down are horrible and not metal. Trivium are false; ripping off Metallica does not make you oldschool and does not cover up the fact that you are a shitty metalcore band. Bullet for My Valentine are horrible and are more -core than metal. Tool aren't metal. W.A.S.P., well, hell yeah. Yngwie is just shred, you don't need to mention him. Soil--?? don't know them. Cradle of Filth, well, they aren't necessarily as bad as everyone says, but they're hard to put in a genre. They're like traditional metal with extreme and gothic elements.

Did you mean to say "You may even want to include some others that are NOT considered Metal"? Avenged Sevenfold are not metal. Bleeding Through as far as I know are a core band and not metal. Same for Atreyu. 36 Crazyfists, from what I understand they fit the same bill. Evanescence are not metal. Lacuna Coil... you can call them metal, but I personally don't like to do so. I think of them more as a pop-rock band with some elements that get them the metal tag. Nightwish, ok, whatever, but you can skip them. Within Temptation, I'm not familiar with them except by name, which means they're probably peripheral enough to not need a mention, but I think they're metal. Killswitch Engage, more -core than metal. All That Remains, aren't they a shit melodeath band? Converge, not metal. Unearth, don't know them, aren't they also shit melodeath? The Haunted, melodeath halfthrash, avoid like the plague. Marilyn Manson, not metal (unless you are dumb enough to believe VH1). Nine Inch Nails? Hello?? What would possess you to think they're metal? A Perfect Circle are great but are far from metal. Mountain? Are you talking about the 70s rock band? Scorpions, sure, I'll give you them, although they're closer to rock in many places. Static-X, nu-"metal" crap. Whitesnake, glam. UFO, sure, but like the Scorpions, they walk the line between rock and metal.

That wasted more time than I thought it would. Hopefully you'll get a little bit of education out of it.

hahahahahahahahahahaha you are wrong in some cases there. in most cases.. Ofcourse there are a few i wouldn't call metal myself. which is why i put "are considered metal" you pretty much told me im right tha other large amounts of people call them metal too..

Quote:
VH1
And may i also point out my post couldn't have been totally wrong.

Quote:
W.A.S.P., well, hell yeah......

Scorpions, sure, I'll give you them,
But thanks for your opinion anyway... I hope most people here would agree most of those bands are CONSIDERED metal.

Thankyou. Please read closer into my text and do a little research into what you're saying before you tell me i'm wrong.

P.S. If you still think that a lot of those bands aren't metal, I value your opinion. But there's no need to go shouting it out all the time.
You did it to many people's posts.

Does anyone agree with me?

Also if you're telling me im wrong by saying they are metal bands. Name me a metal band OTHER than those specified in the original post.. I'm curious as to what you come up with.
28th Eric Clapton
Old 12-29-2006, 04:58 PM
N00B

Quote:
hahahahahahahahahahaha you are wrong in some cases there. in most cases.. Ofcourse there are a few i wouldn't call metal myself. which is why i put "are considered metal" you pretty much told me im right tha other large amounts of people call them metal too..

And may i also point out my post couldn't have been totally wrong.

But thanks for your opinion anyway... I hope most people here would agree most of those bands are CONSIDERED metal.

Thankyou. Please read closer into my text and do a little research into what you're saying before you tell me i'm wrong.

P.S. If you still think that a lot of those bands aren't metal, I value your opinion. But there's no need to go shouting it out all the time.
You did it to many people's posts.

Does anyone agree with me?

Also if you're telling me im wrong by saying they are metal bands. Name me a metal band OTHER than those specified in the original post.. I'm curious as to what you come up with.
I can't even make sense of this.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
I can't even make sense of this.
I can.