Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 12-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDrummer888 View Post
that is christmas

and ChildrenofSodom: Christmas is not christ's birthday . . . last i heard histrians put it around april . . . Christmas is celebrated at the time it is because early christians wanted to make the new religion more accessable to the pagans that inhabited most of germanic europe during that time period. December 25th was a pagan winter feast and only later became that celebration of christ's birth that we know today

so, christmas is number one "a time of brotherhood, love, and people generally getting along" as DethMaiden put it, second a celebration of the birth/life of Jesus Christ, and third a commercialized mess that wrecks any real gains in spiritual well-being made by the first two
I was typing my last post and you entered yours but it's still timely.

The specific origin of December 25th is unimportant unless you're trying to deconstruct Christianity instead of emphasizing the ultimate meaning of the holiday. What's your game?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 PM
The Cheese

Confess?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
I was typing my last post and you entered yours but it's still timely.

The specific origin of December 25th is unimportant unless you're trying to deconstruct Christianity instead of emphasizing the ultimate meaning of the holiday. What's your game?
i dont even know anymore
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Regretting my username

I was already aware of the speculation that Christs birthday was in the spring (how can they prove that), but Christians celebrate Christmas as a celebration of Christs birthday and how it affects mankind. Us christians dont buy a birthday cake and shit like that. The churchs I have gone to use the idea that a King was born, the son of God, and was the messenger of peace and hope for the world. It is less about the actual birth of Christ and more about how all of us today have a chance to repent, live in peace and harmony with our brothers. The church I used to go to used to say "Its Jesus birthday, not yours." And the preacher asked everyone to match how ever much they spent on presents and give it to a Sudan project. They built fresh-water reserves, set up schools and churches, and are setting up adoptions.

From what you are saying, it seems the day used to comemorate Christ's coming just happens to be the most brotherly and peaceful day, just by chance. It started out with people being nice to celebrate the new-born saviour. The holiday isnt meant to spread religion specifically, but the message of Jesus; that we should be kind to each other, help the less fortunate, protect our brothers, etc. Over the years, the religion has been downplayed, but the overall idea has stayed.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
i dont even know anymore
Fair enough... yours will likely be one of the most honest answers we're going to see on this topic.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
Fair enough... yours will likely be one of the most honest answers we're going to see on this topic.
all im trying to say is that in my opinion christmas should not be about worshipping jesus christ, but worshipping the things he preached; peace, love and kinship . . . so whether you identify yourself with christianity, or another religion, or no religion at all, you can still identify with the fundamental point of christmas.

this of course, is my excuse as an athiest to justify getting presents on a religious holiday i really dont have anything to do with
Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
all im trying to say is that in my opinion christmas should not be about worshipping jesus christ, but worshipping the things he preached; peace, love and kinship . . . so whether you identify yourself with christianity, or another religion, or no religion at all, you can still identify with the fundamental point of christmas.

exactly
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
exactly
ha, you are the last person i would have expected to agree with me on that . . . but thankyou
Old 12-20-2006, 08:36 PM
N00B

Quote:

this of course, is my excuse as an athiest to justify getting presents on a religious holiday i really dont have anything to do with
Yes.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Yes.

well i guess i am just a genius philosopher

ok . . . bedtime