The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 AM
We're dying on the inside

Queensr˙che -- Covington, KY -- November 18th, 2006

Last night I attended what I can, with utmost conviction, say is the best show I’ve ever attended to this date. This show was, of course, Queensr˙che’s Covington, KY stop on their “Evening With” tour supporting their newest album Operation: Mindcrime II. A variety of things made this the greatest show I’ve ever seen, so I’d might as well start from the beginning.

The three of us (myself, CoS, and my father) left at 3 PM in order to arrive at 4:30, which we did, and stand in line until the 7 o’clock doors. My other friend who was going met us there a little after we arrived and we let her get in line with us. As soon as the doors opened I dashed to the merch booth to pick up the skeleton Mary shirt that es156 posted earlier, then to the rail where we nabbed three spots directly lined up with Michael Wilton and Eddie Jackson. We kept these spots all night.

The pre-show music really set the ball a-rolling for what was going to be a great night. They were playing Peter Gabriel nonstop. The twenty I slipped them must have worked Here was Peter Gabriel’s “setlist”. It’s the closest I may get to seeing Peter live, so sadly this setlist means the world to me

1. I Grieve
2. In Your Eyes
3. The Drop
4. Steam
5. Downside Up
6. Signal to Noise

After singing Peter Gabriel songs all by myself, the lights went down and Queensr˙che’s intro music began to play over the PA. The nurse spoke the famous words, the band launched into “Anarchy-X”, and the crowd went wild. Over the course of the next hour or so, the band played their way through an even better performance of their classic Operation: Mindcrime than last year’s. As the final notes of “Eyes of a Stranger” rang out I was reminded why this is my favorite album of all time. Nothing is comparable.

After a fifteen minute intermission, “Freiheit Ouverture” was playing over the PA and the band came out to finish it. Set two had begun. I was very impressed by this set, and couldn’t believe how well the Mindcrime II stuff goes live. Mike Stone is a monster with some of those leads, and any respect I may have lost for him for changing DeGarmo’s parts was regained with his performance last night. “Hostage” and “Fear City Slide”, already my favorites from the album, were the highlights, but “If I Could Change It All” and “All the Promises” were tear-jerking and showed a side of Queensr˙che that the first Mindcrime doesn’t quite display. Not to mention the incredible acting...the Mindcrime money and blood effect from the shooting of Dr. X were some of the best things I’ve seen done in a show. If I went into every detail this review would become a book, so I’ll leave it at this: if you didn’t see this tour, you missed out big time.

I sang every word of the entire show and made eye contact with either Michael, Eddie, Scott, or Geoff the entire time (Mike is kind of a prick based on his stage persona, I never made eye contact because he was looking straight up). The security guard was very nice and anything that went off stage he would pick up and hand to you. I got $1 in Mindcrime money (which is pretty damn cool).
They encored with two songs from Empire, the title track and “Jet City Woman”. Before “Empire” began the band came out to talk and do some introductions, and I was screaming at the top of my lungs, looking straight into Michael’s eyes: “WHIP IS THE MAN!” He smiled, threw the horns to me (one of the many times he did ) and threw his pick right to me. That was a nice cap on the evening. Once the band left the stage, Peter Gabriel encored with “Sledgehammer” to truly end the night right

Queensr˙che’s setlist, for those who are going to skip the entire review and read it, was as follows:

1. I Remember Now
2. Anarchy-X
3. Revolution Calling
4. Operation: Mindcrime
5. Speak
6. Spreading the Disease
7. The Mission
8. Suite Sister Mary
9. The Needle Lies
10. Electric Requiem
11. Breaking the Silence
12. I Don’t Believe in Love
13. Waiting for 22
14. My Empty Room
15. Eyes of a Stranger
---------
16. Freiheit Ouverture
17. Convict
18. I’m American
19. One Foot in Hell
20. Hostage
21. The Hands
22. Speed of Light
23. Signs Say Go
24. Re-Arrange You
25. The Chase
26. Murderer?
27. Circles
28. If I Could Change It All
29. An Intentional Confrontation
30. A Junkie’s Blues
31. Fear City Slide
32. All the Promises
----------
33. Empire
34. Jet City Woman

Basically, this further solidified the fact that Queensr˙che are my favorite band, that Operation: Mindcrime is my favorite album, and that Operation: Mindcrime II is my favorite album of 2006. I can’t rate this any lower than a 100 out of 10. Pure nirvana.

But “Speed of Light” still sucks
Old 11-19-2006, 07:51 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
(Mike is kind of a prick based on his stage persona, I never made eye contact because he was looking straight up).
Are you talking about Stone? I was in right in front of him for the whole show last week and he was really into the crowd. I got some horns and whatnot for him. He definitely tends to avoid making eye contact while he's playing solos, but otherwise, he's usually more into things then even Whip, I'd say.

Yeah, and I met Whip again... I still think he's kind of a prick
Old 11-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Resident old fart

I got there too late to get a prime spot. I was on the second tier. You couldn't pack another person in that fuckin place with a shoehorn. And the two drunk guys who kept doing the "o-h....i-o" thing were annoying as hell, as well as their little impromptu song "Ann Arbor is a Whore." Tell ya what though, I hate downtown Covington with a passion. It's a dump, there's nowhere to park, unless you take your chances parking on the street, playing meter roulette, since there's an hour limit, (although they don't enforce it much at night,) and after the show there's cop cars and fire trucks blocking the damn street for 15 minutes. I knew there was a reason why I usually don't venture past "Mainstrausse."

Awesome show though.

Geoff's mic didn't work for the first half of Revolution Calling.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Are you talking about Stone? I was in right in front of him for the whole show last week and he was really into the crowd. I got some horns and whatnot for him. He definitely tends to avoid making eye contact while he's playing solos, but otherwise, he's usually more into things then even Whip, I'd say.

Yeah, and I met Whip again... I still think he's kind of a prick
Wow, they must alternate cities in which one of them is going to be a prick, cos Stone was a robot. Whip was, as I yelled to him, "THE MAN!"
Old 11-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
I got there too late to get a prime spot. I was on the second tier. You couldn't pack another person in that fuckin place with a shoehorn. And the two drunk guys who kept doing the "o-h....i-o" thing were annoying as hell, as well as their little impromptu song "Ann Arbor is a Whore." Tell ya what though, I hate downtown Covington with a passion. It's a dump, there's nowhere to park, unless you take your chances parking on the street, playing meter roulette, since there's an hour limit, (although they don't enforce it much at night,) and after the show there's cop cars and fire trucks blocking the damn street for 15 minutes. I knew there was a reason why I usually don't venture past "Mainstrausse."

Awesome show though.

Geoff's mic didn't work for the first half of Revolution Calling.
I don't know if you could see from where you were standing, but the fire department was there, and they told security that if too many more people came in the show would be closed down. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Yeah, we sang along enough to hear the lyrics down front, but they fixed things in a timely manner
Old 11-19-2006, 01:01 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Ken-tuck-ay
Old 11-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Resident old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I don't know if you could see from where you were standing, but the fire department was there, and they told security that if too many more people came in the show would be closed down. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Yeah, we sang along enough to hear the lyrics down front, but they fixed things in a timely manner
I saw the FD come in that side door stage left. I was fearing a shutdown when I saw em.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Resident old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Ken-tuck-ay
Right across the bridge from Cin-cin-at-ay.

Seriously, though, don't let the KY thing scare ya. You're not REALLY in Kentucky until you get about 30 or 40 miles in.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
Right across the bridge from Cin-cin-at-ay.

Seriously, though, don't let the KY thing scare ya. You're not REALLY in Kentucky until you get about 30 or 40 miles in.
This man has his shit together.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:11 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

When I met Stone he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

Tags
queensryche