View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 08:30 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Exclamation Opeth -- New York City, NY -- February 23rd, 2006

Tonight was great. Opeth were in top form and their performance was amazing. Mikael's stage banter was awesome. The piano outro to The Leper Affinity was perfectly segued into the piano intro to A Fair Judgement. When Mikael introduced Deliverance he said something along the lines of "We may be playing quite a few obscure songs tonight, but if you don't know this song, you're fucking retarded."

The setlist was kind of dissapointing, with ticketmaster charge the tickets were around 35$ and I was hoping that we might get more than 2 and a half hours of show. Also, only The Night And The Silent Water and Windowpane are songs that they haven't already played on this past tour. I kinda feel ripped off, like if Opeth had just played a regular night the difference would have been: Two good opening bands, a general admission venue (TOWN HALL THEATER IS OFFICIALLY THE WORST VENUE I'VE EVER SEEN A BAND IN, OH MY GOD!), spent about 10 less dollars, and only sacrificed about 4 songs/ half hour or so. I guess I was just expecting more from this overhyped event.

That complaint out of the way, Demon Of The Fall was a fucking amazing closer and was the highlight of the night, and I got a sweet chronology show t-shirt that is only being sold at the three chronology shows.

Anyway here's the setlists:

1. Under The Weeping Moon
2. The Night And The Silent Water
3. The Amen Corner
4. White Cluster
5. The Leper Affinity
6. A Fair Judgement
7. Deliverance
8. Windowpane
9. Closure
10. Ghost Of Perdition
11. Baying Of The Hounds
12. The Grand Conjuration

ENCORE:
13. Demon of the Fall

On a side note, before the show, me and my friends met the mighty JENS JOHANSSON of Stratovarius. We hung out and chatted with him for about a half hour, I might make a separate thread about things we learned from the convo, but here's some stuff: Strato are going to start writing their next album this march (soon!), and Jorg Michael lives on a castle grounds .

Edit: I kinda feel like this review has a negative vibe in it. It shouldnt! The show was amazing! I have a terrible headache and I love it! It was fucking incredible!

Edit2: To further confuse the vibe of this post I would also like to say that I'm pissed that they played only one song from Blackwater Park, and that it was The Leper Affinity. I wish it were more or at least had been Bleak or the title track.

Edit3(hmm I keep remembering things, haha): We also met Mendez before the show and we kinda chilled for 5 minutes by the backstage entrance. We didnt really know what was going on though, cause he started talking to two other dudes in spanish and we were like

Last edited by SomewhereInTime72; 02-23-2006 at 08:50 PM.