Thread: 2014...
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
I'm gonna have to give that Tombs another listen. After spinning it once I thought it was boooooooring. But, their first one didn't do much for me either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Same here, but their previous (second) album was tits. It was #21 on my Best of 2011 list. There's also this incredibly sexy online review for Path of Totality as a reference point. Thus, I think my expectations were a bit too jacked up for this new one, because so far it's just OK to me.
Well, it's official. I fucking love this album. I admit it took some time, but then again I didn't appreciate their sophomore album that much either until all the hype made me go back and listen to it some more. I have to say, this one might even be better than their last.

Give it another spin or two, smear. There's lots to love on this record. It's pretty dense stuff, but the way they seamlessly mash up various styles such as death, black, post- and sludge metal into one exstremely potent bunch of tunes is really rather awesome. Plus, Erik Rutan did a bang-up job producing this monster. The amount of heavy stuff packed into this album should result in a big noisy mess, but he did a really great job of making it sound well-balanced and punchy. I agree with you that their first album was rather unimpressive, but I think Tombs have really hit their stride here.