View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 05:21 AM
N00B

Blackmore's Night -- Alexandria, VA -- May 20th, 2014

Full review w/ pix

I went to see Blackmore (never saw him before)'s Night

The Wizard's Consort (instrumental 3 piece Renn faire music) opened. They were good but went on a bit too long (instrumentals made my mind wander too)

Blackmore's Night was one of the best performances I've ever seen. I think I may have been a bit starstruck by Ritchie, because I found little to no fault in his playing...

If you wanted Blackmore's Night /Renn Fair songs- you got a TON of that, maybe even an overdose. If you wanted old Purple/Rainbow/etc. and/or electric Blackmore, then you would probably be pretty disappointed except for the couple of songs- despite the fact that Blackmore has done his Renaissance stuff for almost 20 years now. I am a Blackmore's Night fan, but I will have to agree that I would have LOVED for more songs with that Strat. But artistically, I can definitely respect his decision to do what his muse tells him to. And begrudgingly accept that we may never hear him play most of those songs ever again. Whatever the case, there should have been something for everyone.

Wizard's Consort (7:20-8)
played Greensleeves and a bunch of songs I didn't know

Blackmore's Night (8:40-11)
  • Intro
  • (Unknown, but maybe was just a Hurdy gurdy intro to Dancer)
  • Dancer and the Moon
  • Darkness
  • Queen for a Day, Part II (Instrumental)
  • Under a Violet Moon
  • Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple cover)
  • Durch den Wald zum Bach Haus (Instrumental)
  • World of Stone
  • All the Fun of the Fayre
  • Diamonds & Rust (Joan Baez cover)
  • Renaissance Faire
  • Piano Solo
  • The Moon Is Shining (Somewhere Over the Sea) (strat!)
  • Loreley (strat!)
  • Barbara Allen
  • Peasant's Promise
  • Home Again - Drink Drink Drink - The Happy Wanderer - Reprise , with Hall of the Mountain King Outro
  • Fires at Midnight
  • Toast to Tomorrow (with 'Bad Romance' interlude)
  • The Clock Ticks On
  • Village Lanterne