View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 04:47 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Jesu – Silver (2006)

I’m really not a huge Godflesh fan and I’ve really never listened to any other Jesu. From what I gather this is a little more polished, upbeat, electronic and less-sludgy than most of Justin’s Jesu material. It’s another album I got around that fabled Christmas of 2006 but I got it at a more tumultuous time, a few months earlier when I was struggling (big-time) through Intermediate Trade School. So an album that was depressing yet had a glimmer of hope surrounding it was a welcome listen at the time. The title track starts things off with a more typical sludgy dirge. It’s more shoegaze than doom. It was the song that first brought the album to my attention. Star is a lot poppier and upbeat, with some nice jangly guitar and some wicked droning keyboards in the last few minutes. Wolves is another slow song that is more doom-metal with a lot of electronics. Call it “electronic-doom-metal” if you like. It starts off rather slow and plodding but once it hits the halfway point watch out. Dead Eyes is an instrumental that finishes everything off and it’s really good with some great electronics. Too bad this is not an album but an EP. It ends way too early (even though it’s twenty seven minutes long). Like I said, I haven’t heard any other Jesu but what I have heard is no where near as good as this. If this had of been a full-length album it’d have been top twenty material.
Favorite Song: Wolves
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy