View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM
N00B

Sevendust -- Royal Oak, MI -- April 28th, 2014

The last time Sevendust did an acoustic tour was in the fall of 2003 right before their album SEASONS came out. That was a fun and unique show, so I was looking forward to this one very much, especially since their newest album is an acoustic album. I've seen Sevendust close to 50x, and this was due to be one of the most unique shows I've ever seen them play. The crowd went crazy as soon as they started "Trust." The next song was "Prayer," which has been one of my favorite Sevendust songs for a long time. They sounded great in the acoustic setting, which especially highlights LJ's voice. They also had a cool light show, and the crowd still rocked out on occasion. This set featured a lot of interaction w/ the crowd. LJ talked about how they had so much fun recording this album that they just had to take it on the road. He mentioned how hard it was to sing a heavy song like "Crucified." To be honest, that song & "Denial" are 2 of my favorite songs of theirs, but I do not care for the acoustic versions at all. However, the fans have spoken, and they voted for the band to re-record those songs acoustically. I thought it was neat how the band recorded 6 new songs and had the fans vote for the 6 songs from their back catalog for them to re-record to fill out the album. To me, the old songs are hit or miss as acoustic songs. I love the acoustic "Gone," "Karma," & "Trust" even more than the originals, though. The 6 new songs are great! I wish they would've played all of their new songs, though, since they may never do another acoustic show. "Under It All" was another early highlight, and they talked about how the song "The Wait" was about coping w/ the death of John their guitarist's dad. In the middle of the set they played bits of "Hold On Loosely" by 38 Special & "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. That was goofy & fun. They took a 20-min break in the middle. During the 2nd set Clint Lowery sang their cover of "Hurt," but it was more like Johnny Cash's version than NIN's. That was amazing. They said they were in Nashville the night Johnny Cash died. They said they had never played "Karma" live before this tour, but the fans wanted them to do that song. The acoustic version is fantastic! Overall this was an amazing show! I've seen Sevendust so many times that I'm surprised I enjoyed it THAT much. It was beautiful, and I hope to see them do another acoustic show, hopefully with less than 11 years in between. Setlist:

Set one
Trust
Prayer
Crucified
Xmas Day
Under It All
Skeleton Song
Hold On Loosely / Don't Stop Believing
The Wait
Denial
Disgrace
Rumble Fish