View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
A remarkable EP, but I wouldn't call it their true debut. I know what you're saying in regards to the stylistic changes, but I'd argue their beginnings were their most influential pieces of work. In the Sign of Evil still stands as one of their most well know releases and although Obsessed by Cruelty is often glossed over today it was an important album in its time. Those first two releases served as an inspiration to many of the upcoming black and death metal bands. I do think Sodom reached their musical peak in 1987, but by the time they had fully transitioned to thrash metal it was already a very popular style.
I don't disagree with you. In the Sign of Evil is probably the most influential thing that Sodom ever put out, but what I mean is that Expurse of Sodomy was the debut of Sodom as we know the band today. Those first two releases may have helped spawn a host of black and death metal bands, but without their shift in sound I don't think Sodom would have become as popular as they have.