View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 07:11 AM
with his arms outstretched

the History of: Final Fantasy

Like I said in my top twenty-five video game thread, Final Fantasy has been my favorite game series for well over twenty years. But each game is different enough that I couldn't induct the series as a whole. There are really good games with aspects I hate, and really bad games with aspects I love. Some I've played two dozen times on different platforms. Some I played once and was done with them. But I always play them. I always base whatever system I buy on one thing: which one is releasing Final Fantasy games.

I first discovered Final Fantasy in 1991 when my friend Fred rented Final Fantasy II (which was the North American title for Final Fantasy IV) for Super Nintendo. I'd played video games before but in those days of 8-bit games the main focus was action. I 'd never seen a game with characters that spoke with more than a sentence. Or a world that wasn't just "go from left to right". I was in awe of Final Fantasy II. Fred rented it every Friday for a month straight and I just sat and watched the story unfold. Even after we were done he moved on but I couldn't stop thinking about that game. So I got a paper route and saved every penny for six months just so I could buy a Super Nintendo and that game. It's been downhill since then. I've played a thousand video games since then, but over twenty years later the series still remains my favorite and only a few games have ever topped Final Fantasy II.

I've decided to focus on the main series of games, and then follow them up with any spin-offs. The reason is I've played most of the main series and very little beyond that. So if I'd gone in chronological order like I'd originally intended there'd have been a lot of entries towards the end of this thread that would consist of "I haven’t played this game, but I've heard it ______" (usually followed up with “sucks”). I’m also not going to include the Prelude song as my favorite song in any game because it’s almost always the best song. And there's a shit-ton of other good songs on every other soundtrack. So I’ll link to the various versions of the Prelude and then link to a different “best” song too. Click on the box art to link to the Prelude for each game.

I guess I'll dedicate this thread to John the Drummer, since he's the one who said he'd be interested in participating. I remember one other person here being a fan of the series but I'm sure there's a few more.

And yeah, this is another videogame thread. Big fucking deal.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 10-04-2014 at 07:55 PM.