View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Could you go into more detail about this? How did you do this? This is something I've tried to change, with some positive results, but is ultimately very difficult to maintain for long periods of time.

As much as there are a lot of crazy people into metal, I've always thought nerd culture is a better fit for metal. If you can take a step back from the seriousness of metal and appreciate it in the same way that one would a ridiculous fantasy game or book, it makes it more enjoyable IMO.

How do you do this? Are you actively trying to learn more in algebra, or just practicing certain types of problems? Just curious because although I'm pretty decent at math, I never went as far with it as I wanted to.

1. For me I just took a step back and assessed my life. Actually assessed where I am now, where I would like to be, and who I would like to be when I get there. From there I listed what I could change and what I couldn't and just started taking baby steps. It wasn't all of a sudden, and I think that's part of the problem for people who want to change; not everyone is capable of just altering their mindset, perception, socio-political outlook and lifestyle in a matter of days without some form of life-impeding event. Just make little changes - maybe it's deciding not to argue with someone who pushes your button, maybe it's choosing some fruit over a cookie as a snack, maybe it's choosing to stay inside and getting some work done/working on a home project. I don't know you so I don't know what it might be for you, but for me it was just lots of little changes that build up and become habit. Eventually my perception changed with it and I found I had evolved my social circle/outlook/attitude to work to where I wanted them to be. It takes time and energy, but you can do it.

2. Agreed. I'm just generally a fanatic about most things I'm into. I like being passionate about the new issue of 2000 AD/new Napalm Death record/latest Wes Anderson film, keeps me sane. I find they all feed into each other, and often provide me solace if one starts getting a little quiet or something is a bit disappointing.

3. I just enjoy doing maths. I look up algebra problems for senior high-school level, print out a bunch, and solve them. Occasionally I push the boat and learn some more advanced problems that'd be found in college papers if I have the time, but usually I just do a few sheets of them if I'm travelling or I'm stressed. I find them comparable to Angry Birds or what not, just it's more food for my brain than a time-filler.