View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Finally watched Jake The Snake Roberts: Pick Your Poison... wow...
I feel very bad for him, it's no wonder he turned to drugs and alcohol, his childhood (and pre-childhood) was FUCKED. I know a lot of people hate him, but I am very happy that he was able to turn his life around.

I really can't believe the Jake/Jerry Lawler storyline though, and how they used real alcohol in the segments, that really broke my heart since he was recovering at the time and really trying to get his life on track. He deserves his Hall of Fame spot for all I know!
He definitely deserves his hall of fame induction. When people say guys like the Rock have good mic skills, it makes me laugh. Jake Roberts is the perfect example of being a great talker. He didn't spout out the same old catch phrases all the time. Each interview he always said something good and always said something different and made his point with it. That is what great mic skills are, having the ability to never do the same interview twice and always making it something worth listening to.

His in ring psychology was just about the best you'll ever see. He was great at knowing what to do in the ring and at what point in the match to do each spot. This art is really lost today and it's too bad because it made the matches exciting and it took the audience for a ride and made them feel like they just saw something special. His character was different to, he was darker than anyone who had ever performed in the WWF regularly up to that point. Without Jake there never would've been an Undertaker and because of Jake, being a darker character in wrestling became accepted by the masses.

If you want some other good old school DVD's, check out Roddy Piper's and Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen if you haven't yet.