View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Paper Planes is honestly one of my favorite songs of all-time. Of the limited number of other songs I've heard from M.I.A., I haven't really liked any of them. That being said, I'm curious to check out this record because I've heard a lot of good things about it. Good shit so far man, excited to see the rest of the list.

22. Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu

Oranssi Pazuzu... what kind of a name is that? The Finns' psychedelic space-black metal is as odd as their appellation. They're not the first to do this kind of music, but their twist of the "genre" is really far from what Nachtmystium or Darkspace do. Their latest release, Valonielu is also very different from its two predecessors. You can sense this at the very first riff of "Vino Verso", which is, basically, a barrage of hypnotizing and hammering mechanical drum beats, repeated industrial grooves and mind bending synths (it's difficult to decide if they sound retro or futuristic). Then, the vocals kick in: furious black metal screams processed into sounding metallic, inhuman and unsettling. This gives the start to a synthesizer-driven nightmarish voyage.

"Tyhjä Tempelli" then starts with a tribal drum beat, that is soon joined by angular keyboard chords and dark, hazy country/southern guitars, leading to a magnificent climatic chorus. The structure on this album is a bit more stripped down and uses more repetition than Oranssi Pazuzu's other albums (while still being proggy at some points), but the music itself is a lot thicker and more layered, thus creating a much richer experience. The psychedelic aspect of the record is particularly effective: some of the guitar or synth parts make you feel like your brain is slowly melting, while the vocalist leaves you no solace with his raging screams. Valonielu is in fact pretty scary, even distressing. The ear-scraping and/or menacing and bizarre keyboard ambiances (see "Uraanisula") and dissonant guitars do nothing to make you comfortable. This said, what is captivating about the album is that, like I said before, it is a voyage; it takes you through a wide range of emotions and atmospheres. "Reikä Maisemassa" starts off as a quiet ceremonial song, but then, a load of psychedelic ooze is dropped upon it, leaving the listener's every member feeling worryingly flabby. "Olen Aukaissut Uuden Silmän" then gets your hopes up again with extremely catchy, yet dense, spacey black 'n roll sprinkled with a few hints of depression. The Finns then leave you floating in outer space, by the means of "Ympyrä On Viiva Tomussa", that continues into a dramatic psychedelic post-rock climax sustained by an enormous industrial riff similar to the one on the opening track, then takes you through heavy psychotic distress and leaves you wanting more with its mysterious and mesmerizing finale.

In sum, Valonielu brings a pretty arid listening experience if you're not used to the genre, due to its denseness, its repetition and its Finnish lyrics, but it is extremely rewarding in terms of various, strong feelings tasted throughout the listening. This is Oranssi Pazuzu's culminating and triumphal masterpiece.

Ympyrä On Viiva Tomussa

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame