View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

22.The Wonder Years-The Greatest Generation

Over the past few years, The Wonder Years went from being almost completely unknown to being the leaders of the pop-punk revival movement. Since the beginning, their music has been really emotional, authentic and just a lot of fun to listen to. The Upsides and Suburbia I've You My All and Now I'm Nothing are both solid records that made me a fan of the band, but The Greatest Generation sees the band finally fully hitting their stride and making music to their fullest potential. What struck me the most about this album is the fact that it goes outside the typical mold of pop-punk while remaining true to its pop-punk roots. There's a pretty heavy straight punk ("An American Religion (TSF)" and alternative influence ("The Devil in My Bloodstream, "I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral") to mix things up a bit from their typical poppy blueprint. Of course, there's still plenty of displays of their signature sound here and it's just as infectious as ever ("Dismantling Summer", "We Could Die Like This" and "Cul-de-sac" are some of their catchiest tracks to-date.) The Greatest Generation also succeeds at not succumbing to the overly sappy nature of their earlier material. The emotional-force behind their lyrics was sometimes a little too overdone, this time around its less corny without losing any of the power or passion in Soupy's lyrics. The Greatest Generation won't win The Wonder Years any new fans, but they change things up a bit and write the most complete album of their young career without losing any of the charm or fun of their earlier material.

Standout Tracks
1.An American Religion (FSF)
2.We Could Die Like This
3.Dismantling Summer

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/