View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Humanaut

EP/Compilation/Live Albums of 2013 - #19 - #11

19. Paradise Lost - Tragic Illusion 25 (The Rarities)

A walkthrough from the birthing of gothic metal up until now of their rare and hard to find tracks. Well worth the money spent on this one.

18. Dew Scented - Insurgent

In my opinion, a massive step up from the Ill-Natured & Innoscent compilation released back in 2003. A nice eclectic collection from these death metal veterans that captures what they are all about in a release that is mostly made up of live and b-sides.

17. Blood Eagle - Kill Your Idols

Made up of members from Volbeat, Mnemic, Illdisposed, Raunchy, and Hatesphere (Danish supergroup). I stumbled upon this by accident after reading a post on FB that Mnemic was possibly going to take a hiatus. The most excited I was for an EP release all year (even more than AHC) but I was let down that it was only 3 tracks. Still, one of my most anticipated releases of 2014.

16. Black Label Society - Unblackened

Black Label Society in acoustic mode. It works. Surprisingly, it works extremely well.

15. Black Crown Initiate - Song of the Crippled Bull

I ran across this EP in the most unexpected of places: Dave Mustaine's 2013 end of the year list on MetalSucks. I too thought since it was Mr.Mustaine listing this pretty high up in his list that it was a bunch of poop. How wrong I was, not only with this release but Dave's end of the year list. 4 releases (including this one) made my top lists of 2013. Check this out. These guys could blow up in 2014 if their full length contains a little more creativity behind their songs.

14. Equilibrium - Waldschrien

Despite having a 12-year demo song in the making finally completed and a cover of the theme from Skyrim, I was left wanting more after it ended. Hopefully the new album satisfies this need.

13. Grave - Morbid Ascent

Some of the best Swedish death metal you will ever here. Grave's track record reinforces that. Despite rehashing some of their older songs I found myself continually coming back to listen to this throughout the year.

12. Steven Wilson - Drive Home

Since I had to work on the day Steven Wilson came to Tampa on the tour supporting "The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)" this was the closest thing to going to that show that I could have purchased. It's Steven Wilson.

11. Katatonia - Dethroned & Uncrowned

One of my top 10 of 2012 released as an acoustic album?!?!?! SI SI SI!!!!!! It complements "Dead End Kings" superbly and had an emotional effect on me as I listened through it for the first time. Not an Anathema "Weather Patterns" effect but about 60% of that feeling I got on my first listen.

Last edited by illninoese; 01-08-2014 at 07:16 PM.