View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

20.) Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark

I don't think I've listened to Blood Ceremony since their first studio album, but I don't remember them being so flute-y. It's metal for wood nymphs and I love it. This is like the perfect combination of Sabbath worship and influence from '70s rock like Jethro Tull and Fleetwood Mac.

Witchwood
Goodbye Gemini

19.) Entrails - Raging Death

Some more great Swedish death metal with the great HM-2 buzzsaw sound. The somewhat creepy atmosphere on the album harks back to Nihilist's material from the '80s. Also, I read that this is the first of their three albums where they actually had to write all new material and didn't use old demo tracks and you can't even tell the difference. It still sounds as natural as the music they wrote in the '90s.

They didn't have my favorite song, "Carved to the Bone" on Youtube, but here's these.
In Pieces
Bloodhammer

18.) Mindmaze - Mask of Lies

Power/prog is usually not my thing, but this is a definite exception. For one, female vocals are always a plus and this is the right kind of female vocals, not the gimmicky and overtly poppy kind. I was definitely hooked on this after hearing the catchiness of single, "Never Look Back."

Never Look Back
This Holy War

17.) Agrimonia - Rites of Separation

A mix of atmospheric sludge metal, black metal, crust punk and a bunch of other influences that almost transcends genre labels. Agrimonia do long songs right. There's no boring parts to any of their songs and four of the five songs clock in over ten minutes. "Talion" and "Hunted" feature two of the best riffs recorded all year. This album seems to be getting overlooked this year, but it truly is one of the finest releases of the year, so if you consider yourself a fan of any of the aforementioned genres (or metal in general), check this album out.

Talion
Hunted

16.) Subrosa - More Constant Than the Gods

This is the best doom release of 2013. I don't know what it is about classical instruments (violins in this case) that make doom sound so good, but they do. The vocals are haunting yet beautiful and the music is crushing at times and gorgeous at others.

The Usher
Fat of the Ram
12/26 Macabre ?
12/27 Zero Boys ?
1/5 Genocide Pact ?
1/9 Skull Fist