View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

35.Death Grips-Government Plates

Death Grips is no longer a hip-hop act. Government Plates sees them confirming their new identity as a group that makes EDM for people who hate EDM. The evolution of Death Grips is kind of disappointing to me because I loved MC Ride's wild screaming/rapping and that is mostly replaced on this record with skip-heavy electronic vocals. What makes Death Grips transfer to EDM not that drastic and still thoroughly enjoyable is the work of Zach Hill and Flatlander. Flatlander lays down a plethora of godlike synth line ("Big House" and "You Might Think He Loves You For Your Money but I Know What He Really Loves You For It's Your Brand New Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat" in particular are perfection) on this record and Zach Hill gives arguably his most insane drum performance in Death Grips's discography. Government Plates is the Death Grips's at their strangest and most electronic.

Standout Tracks
1. You Might Think He Loves You For Your Money but I Know What He Really Loves You For It's Your Brand New Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat
2.Big House
3.This is Violence Now (Don't Get Me Wrong)

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/