View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

25.) Cloud Rat - Moksha

A sweet combination of grindcore and hardcore with the odd addition of some screamo influence. The emotionally charged, screamo influenced vocal delivery is an interesting thing that adds a breath of fresh air to the grind experience. Despite the screamo adding an emotional side, the record is still absolutely furious and unrelenting for most of the duration. There's also a grind cover of Neil Young's "The Needle and the Damage Done."

Inkblot
Inimitable Sea

24.) The Ocean - Pelagial

The clean singing was a major turn-off at first, but with repeated listens I got used to it and even now enjoy it to an extent. It's beautiful, it's heavy, sometimes it's both simultaneously. The album is a concept album based on the various depth zones of the ocean, so naturally starts with some post-rock influenced songs at the surface, but as the album ends with "Benthic: The Origin of Our Wishes," the music comes to a dirge-like, near funeral doom heaviness to represent the ever encompassing, always suffocating depth at the bottom of the ocean. Through all these changing genres, The Ocean stay firmly rooted in their progressive sludge metal roots.

Bathyalpelagic I: Impasses
Benthic: The Origin of Our Wishes

23.) Autopsy - The Headless Ritual

I really liked their last album, but this one blows it away. It's a complete throwback to their "Severed Survival" and "Mental Funeral" days. An updated production that gives it a bit less of a grimy feeling, but I can't really complain. "Slaughter at Beast House" is just pure death/doom goodness and better than anything on Macabre Eternal.

Slaughter at Beast House
Arch Cadaver

22.) Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness

Toxic Holocaust have abandoned the heavy crust punk influence and have gone back to the straight up black/thrash sound that they employed on their masterpiece, An Overdose of Death... and I'm all the more happy for it. This really is basically An Overdose of Death... Part 2 and if you're okay with that, then you should love this album too. Also, the video for Acid Fuzz is one of the best music videos ever. Watch it.

Rat Eater
Deny the Truth

21.) Wolf Down - Stray From the Path

Heavy as hell female-fronted hardcore from Germany. A nice fusion of old school sounding hardcore riffs with the newer trend of hard-hitting breakdowns. I disagree with pretty much all their lyrical themes (they're straight edge vegans and are into the whole ACAB thing), but the music more than makes up for that. Wolf Down never strays from the path of pure pissed off hardcore and make a great record because of that.

Loving Embrace
Tables Will Turn
10/21 King Diamond
10/22 Tombs ?
10/23 Pentagram ?
11/1 Kult ov Azazel