View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

EP of the Year
Fallujah-Nomadic

San Fransisco progressive/technical death metal act Fallujah quickly became one of my favorite new bands after their incredible 2011 debut LP The Harvest Wombs. Their new EP, Nomadic, expands upon everything that was great about The Harvest Wombs. The music on Nomadic is a lot more moody and atmospheric without losing any of the technical, extreme edge that made their early material so memorable. The two main tracks on here, "The Dead Sea" and "Venom Upon the Blade", are two of my absolute favorite songs of the year due to how layered and vast-sounding they are. You get some beautiful melodic riffing, mind-blowing technicality, punishing blast beats and sinister black metal vocals all on the same track and it's just an awesome and frequent unpredictable combination. A lot of peeps were worshiping at the altar of Gorguts this year, but as I'm as I'm concerned, the technical death metal release of the year came from these Bay Area upstarts. If the trend continues, their second full-length has the potential to be something really, really special.

Standout Tracks
The whole thing

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/