View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 04:01 PM
...the dead are among us!

TOP 50 METAL ALBUMS OF 2013
20-1

Here's the final part of my list. Sorry for the lack of effort at the end here, if anyone's still reading this list...

20. Gorguts - Colored Sands
These canadian technical death metal titans have returned in this years biggest comeback alongside Carcass.
listen

19. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
Fenriz and Nocturno Culto return with another throwback album of sorts. This is speed metal and NWOBHM filtered through lo-fi black metal and teutonic thrash structures. I never find their music to be insincere, they clearly love the source material referenced on this album.
listen

18. Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Dallas crossover thrash that gets your blood moving like DRI and Cro-Mags did back in the day. Circle pits and stagediving are nonstop at Power Trip shows. The production here is a little odd to me, the vocals dominate the mix.
listen

17. Portal - Vexovoid
Portal is not metal you can casually toss on and have playing the background while you go about your day, this is dense metal that demands full attention to dissect the layers of sound.
listen

16. Yellow Eyes - Hammer of Night
One of the best and also lesser known bands of the ripe New York black metal scene.
listen

15. Church of Misery - Thy Kingdom Scum
The Japanese doom masters with a fixation on serial killers put out another great album this year.
listen

14. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
Beautiful and moving sludge / experimental doom out of Salt Lake City.
listen

13. Primitive Man - Scorn
An excellent debut from a sludge / grind / doom trio out of Colorado. Their vocalist / guitarist is also in Clinging To The Trees Of A Forest Fire and Withered, but Scorn surpasses any releases from either of those bands.
listen

12. Vattnet Viskar - Sky Swallower
Epic and atmospheric black metal that is heavily recommended for fans of WITTR.
listen

11. Clutch - Earth Rocker
Maryland’s finest hard rock band put out a record that has them sounding like men half their age. Their last record was a mid-paced affair and by contrast Earth Rocker is full of fast and in-your-face tunes that will be instant live show staples.
listen

10. Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
I have always been a big fan of Skeletontits’ blend of black metal, thrash and melodic death metal. These Ohio boys have finally put out an album that captures the sound of their live show. The riffs and solos are memorable and catchy choruses will have you headbanging along involuntarily.
listen

9. Deafheaven - Sunbather
Hipster metal? Can that term die soon please? Black metal / post-metal / shoegaze; whatever you want to label it, it's really good.
listen

8. Nails - Abandon All Life
Brutally vicious grind / hardcore on Southern Lord produced by Kurt Ballou.
listen

7. Sacriphyx - The Western Front
Australian band putting out some epic and excellent melodic death metal.
listen

6. Magic Circle - Magic Circle
Magnificent traditional doom metal that sounds straight out of the early 80’s. More emotional and compelling than most of the recent throwback doom bands.
listen

5. VHÖL - VHÖL
Members of Agalloch, YOB and Hammers of Misfortune combine to form a black metal supergroup.
listen

4. Vastum - Patricidal Lust
2013 was a year packed with excellent death metal and San Francisco’s Vastum put out a bruiser. Patricidal Lust lives up to all the potential this band showed on 2011’s Carnal Law. They took their Autopsy influences and ended up putting out a better, more disgusting album than their forefathers this year.
listen

3. Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane
This is Polish band performs ‘horror-themed’ black metal that goes beyond just using samples from films and actually creates a convincingly terrifying atmosphere. Their vocalist employs a variety of styles which may turn some off, but upon repeat listens are memorable and fit the music perfectly.
listen

2. Jucifer - There Is No Land Beyond The Volga
The twenty-year-running sludge-nomad husband and wife duo Jucifer have finally penned their masterpiece with a concept album based on the history of the Russian city Volgograd.
listen

1. Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
In my opinion Inquisition is the best American black metal band currently making music. I feel like this matches the brilliance of their last album with even better production, more true to their live sound. Obscure Verses is not a departure creatively from their previous works, but that just means more excellent hypnotic riffs and this album builds on and continues their flawless discography. If I were to re-do my 2011 list, based on what I’ve been listening to since then, Inquisition would no doubt be in my top 3. Forget the metal elitists that have been shitting on this record, they’re the ones that were going to hate it no matter what just because Inquisition is now signed to Season of Mist. It’s been said time and time again, but it’s still amazing that only two band members can create their epic sound and even more jaw dropping when you see it live. Enter the Cult.
listen

GOODBYE 2013