View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Humanaut

MMXIII in review

A slow year compared to previous years, I still managed to keep up with new releases until about the beginning of June. I kind of lost my pace when the summer started with a job, moving, classes, etc...I'll try to finish this thread for once this year.

Top 5 Shows
Best EP/Compilation/Live list
Honorable Mentions for 2013
Best of 2013 (Between 25-50, I'm still trying to get that number figured out.

But first......

Worst Show of 2013

Corrections House with 2 random Alachua County openers
Monday, January 28th
The Atlantic Nightspot
Gainesville, FL

Upon seeing the lineup for this unknown band, which is Scott Kelly (Neurosis), Bruce Lamont (Yakuza), Mike IX Williams (Eyehategod) and Sanford Parker (Nachtmystium), I couldn't believe that they were actually going to play Gainesville. For the billionth time I cursed the fact that my CD collection was back home at my parents house as I finished up my last year of college. This would have been the perfect show to get that Scott Kelly solo release signed but c'est la vie. My roommate and I went with no idea what to expect. It was the most random mix of ambient, noise, spoken word, and segments of actual music I have ever heard but what seemed to be without purpose. I can't really explain what was going on for those first 40 minutes before my roommamte and I both turned to each other with the deer in the headlights look. We left immediately after. I haven't bothered to delve into anything they may have released this year after that show. Maybe I just don't get it. Judge for yourselves.