Thread: Things you hate
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 06:35 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
No, it isn't.

And I don't need to explain why because a whole bunch of people, including me, already did that perfectly adequately enough. Juggling semantics as a means of justification proves nothing.
Yes, it is. I'm not just "juggling semantics", i'm going by the actual dictionary AND legal definitions of theft and piracy, and referring to them by those definitions. And El Gordo said as much, and immediately followed up his assessment of my distinction by saying that it doesn't make it any more morally right. I'm also not using it as a means for a justification for it being right, something I said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
I'm not defending piracy
here:

Quote:
You think Piracy is wrong? I don't necessarily disagree.
and finally here:

Quote:
I don't think it has less of a negative connotation at all. They're both illegal and immoral activities that have negative consequences for those who are caught.

Quote:
Also, ticket prices aren't rising? In which parallel universe is that true? The only thing which hasn't changed is merch prices.
Two people already called me on this, and provided back up facts from what appears to be first hand experience while doing so.

Quote:
Several. I haven't heard those albums.
Good for you. I personally don't see the harm in pirating those albums since there's no other way to get them, and i'm sure bands themselves would rather people hear them for free than not hear them at all if there's no other legal way to acquire them. But that's your prerogative. If nothing else, good for you for sticking to your guns in that regard even if it means missing out on music from a band you like.

Tell me something though, if you were able to find such albums used in a used CD store, would you buy them? Because the bands and record labels aren't getting anything off of that used album sale. Not only that, you're also rewarding someone else for buying that music second hand. Likely the store, who previously would have given a certain amount of money to the person selling that album. Which could have happened after that person proactively ripped said CD onto his/her computer leaving a digital copy that he/she can still listen to, which legally is allowed since it would be for personal use.

Last edited by AnthG; 12-28-2013 at 06:59 PM.