Thread: Things you hate
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
This'd be valid if it weren't bullshit.

Someone steals my CD: theft, against me. Because that CD is mine.

Someone steals a CD form a record store: theft, against the record store.

Someone illegally downloads an album: theft, against the band and label
Here's the problem with this description. If that CD is now yours, wouldn't that mean you're able to do with it what you want? I mean, we see bands all the time distribute their music for free through free album streams on youtube and other website, because they own that music. So if you own a CD aren't you able to distribute that as you like? Whether it's lending it to a friend that they listen to over and over again without buying their own copy, letting them rip it, or ripping it yourself for that person? Or burning them a copy?

Just like if someone steals your car, that's theft, but if you give them permission to use your car it's ok. If i'm giving someone, or 1,000,000 people, permission to listen to my CD by giving them a digital copy of it, wouldn't it then make it ok, because it's based off of my copy that I physically and legally purchased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
It's not really a difficult distinction. If the thing being stolen isn't physical, it's not theft? So, someone who gives government/military documents to the a terrorist didn't steal them because he used a photocopier or a USB drive? Give me a break.
No, it'd be breach of privacy as well as distribution of confidential information to unauthorized parties. When that person is imprisoned for his actions, it'll be for that as well as likely treason. Not theft.