View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I'd have to say being a Death Angel fan has been one really interesting roller coaster of a ride. I was there from Day 1 when they were a big zine favorite. Loved the speed metal Ultra Violence then when Frolic came out it took a few spins but songs like Mind Rape, 3rd Floor and eventually Bored sunk in. Act III had songs I loved and songs I hated. Eventually I grew to really like songs like Room with a View and Veil of Deception only to have them vanish soon after.
I have a pretty similar view on these records. I do like Act III quite a bit, but it's half good songs and half boring songs.

Quote:
I remember going to see The Organization live with 50 or so other people and they were great live actually. The the 5-6 Death Angel songs they played were all the heavy stuff so I got back into that and then kinda forgot about them.
That honestly seems like a decent turnout given the time period, and the fact that I'm guessing nobody knew who they were back then.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if Megadeth and other bands had followed a similar path? I guess Testament has to a certain degree but not the pure speed metal path like DA took. I really hope they can influence some of those old school bands to do the same thing. NEED MORE SPEED!
Some of them have done similar things. I think Testament has been one of the most consistent bands since they've come back, but it's only been two albums. Not many bands other than Megadeth has really put out as many "comeback" records as Death Angel. I actually loved United Abominations and Endgame, but the last two have been pretty disappointing. I suppose Exodus has done well, but their albums are too long to keep me entertained. It's been long enough since the last one that hopefully their new one will be good though.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned Overkill. Honestly, I really liked Ironbound. It is a brilliant thrash record. I seem like the only person that can't get into The Electric Age. It's still thrash, and that's good for them, but the songwriting isn't as strong as Ironbound.
11/7 - Artillery/Onslaught
11/27 - DTA/Obituary/Massacre