View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

#8: Carcass - Surgical Steel

So many years in the making. I was worried that this wasn't going to hold up w/ the rest of the Carcass discography. I would have to say for the most part the answer to that question is yes. I felt this was a risk for Carcass. As much as some felt Swansong hurt their legacy, a half assed return would have hurt them even worse.

I know everybody falls under different Carcass that they prefer. This is probably blasphemy but first 2 albums, don't care for them. To me it seems like they had the worst production values & because of that a lot of people love these 2 and hate everything after. Now Necroticism, that album to me is the best shit they've ever done. Just untouchable IMO. Don't like Heartwork at all, too clean, just doesn't have the balls Necroticism does. I loved the concept behind Swansong, didn't like a lot of the songs but lived the death n' roll concept they were going for. If this album had almost any other name it would have been better received IMO. To me it feels a little bit like Surgical Steel took after a little bit of Heartwork. & Necroticism. As soon as you start out with "Thrasher's Abattoir" you can immediately tell this album will not be a letdown. While "Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard" feels like it could have followed up "Incarnated Solvent Abuse" 22 years ago with its progressive twin guitar attack which I feel was the biggest highlight of the album.

That being said, I know I've seen this as #1 by several magazines/web sites. It's a really great top 10 album but I feel any site that has this #1 is going off name recognition and not from the actual material. I think that anybody who loves Carcass after 1989 will find this to be the album they've been waiting for since 1996 (some since after Heartwork).

Standout Track: Noncompliance To ASTM F 899-12 Standard