View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Now we get to the controversial part. The next 6 albums are by far the most overrated releases of 2013. To clarify, these albums are by no means bad (though I honestly didn't like any of them that much), but I just don't understand how they received the level of praise that they did.

Most Overrated Albums of 2013

6. Iron Dogs - Wild and Free

It was no surprise to me that everybody loved this album, but take a step back and think about what you're listening to. The melodies are beyond simplistic, to the point where it sounds like the musicians have no ear for music theory at all. They also never stop with the melodies. This is an amateur release, but the praise for it is scary.

5. Ranger - Knights of Darkness

This is definitely a fun speed metal EP, but there's nothing memorable about it at all. The best moment is when they rip off "Majesty" by Blind Guardian. Everything else about it is predictable. It's fast, but that's it really.

4. Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed

This is just a band as a whole that I have trouble appreciating. I can't help but feel they pander to exactly what people want with their sound. It's like Dragonforce, but for trve metal fans.

3. Satan's Host - Virgin Sails

This was my first experience with Satan's Host, and it was certainly underwhelming. The mix of clean vocals and more extreme music just didn't work the way I expected it to. Conklin is a great singer, but I felt things weren't catchy enough. I suppose that's the point, but "Virgin Sails" was boring. It's long, and aside from a few moments, there's nothing really all that great. It's weird because the sound is definitely different from most bands out there, but I don't feel like this is a particularly standout release.

2. Carcass - Surgical Steel

Of all of the albums on this list, this is the one I really enjoy and will come back to. But how Carcass is considered anywhere near the best of 2013 confuses me. I'm not a huge fan of their old stuff (grindcore or melodeath), and this is just an enjoyable melodeath comeback for me.

1. Gorguts - Colored Sands

The fact that people love this release makes me worry for the future of metal. This album is excessively long, and completely uninteresting. I do like how they worship Immolation a lot on the album, but I'd prefer the band just gets to the point and delivers good death metal the whole time. It's time for Gorguts to go back to playing stuff from "Considered Dead".

Last edited by Spiner202; 12-22-2013 at 06:58 AM.