View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

19. Horseback - Halfblood

I've been in love with Horseback (which is basically musician / songwriter Jenks Miller of Mount Moriah) since the first album came out. The only thing about the music that I've had a hard time getting on board with is the harsh vocals - because I think they fit the music sometimes, and other times not so much - but overall this is a really minor complaint, and when the music is this good, it's certainly easy to overlook. This is, quite simply, some of the best sludgy stoner / doom that I've heard in recent years. The first half of the album consists of four very good medium-length tracks with some really great atmospherics mixed in with the groovy stuff, but on the second half, Horseback really go off into full psychedelic mode with a three-song suite that's over twenty minutes long - and this is where the listener can truly get lost in space and time. This album - like many others in its genre - is not meant for casual, single-track listening. It is a true album, which must be experienced as a whole in order to fully appreciate. So if you like psychedelic stoner/sludge drone/doom, then I invite you to schedule about forty-five minutes of uninterrupted time, grab the headphones and take a trip with Horseback. You'll be glad you did.