View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM
...the dead are among us!

8 OF 2013ís FINEST HIP-HOP OFFERINGS
(in no particular order)

Killer Mike & El-P - Run The Jewels

listen
After El-P and Killer Mike worked together last year on each otherís albums and a co-headlining tour, the magic continues with Run The Jewels. Excellent verses from both and great production from El-P put out as a free download made this an instant online hit and an underground hip-hop modern classic.

Prodigy & Alchemist - Albert Einstein

listen
Prodigy of Mobb Deep collaborates with Alchemist to create a record that recalls the glory days of 90ís east coast hip-hop. Prodigyís usual gruff delivery sounds the same as always and the subject matter is nothing new, but if like the old Mobb Deep records this is solid stuff.

Deltron 3030 - Event II

listen
One of alternative hip-hopís most well known supergroups return with another sci-fi concept album that returns listeners to the dystopian post-apocalypse of their 2000 debut. Del tha Funky Homosapien, Dan the Automator and Kid Koala pick up where they left off with positive politically conscious rhymes juxtaposing a bleak 1984-esque future.

Ghostface Killah - Twelve Reasons to Die: The Brown Tape

listen
GFKís Twelve Reasons to Die is a concept album, based on a comic book. I found this remix version of the record to have even better beats than the original. This fits well in the Wu-Tang affiliate discography, donít sleep on this one.

Flatbush Zombies - BetterOffDEAD Mixtape

listen
Great East-coast hip-hop with killer beats and psychedelic-fueled rhymes. Their songs are full of both humor and street life lyrics without ever feeling too silly or thugged-out, good party hip-hop with off-kilter production. A free download, so if it sounds interesting youíve got no reason not to check it out.

Death Grips - Government Plates

listen
This is really more of an electronic album with some rapping intertwined. Personally I find this to be my favorite Death Grips release to date. I canít get behind the gimmicks and shady show cancellations, but they do something really interesting with hip-hop and release their music free, so as long as the music is good you canít go wrong.

RJD2 - More Is Than Isnít

listen
If you donít know RJD2, youíve probably heard him in the form of the Mad Men theme. But it was his debut Deadringer that put him in the same breath as turntablists and crate diggers like DJ Shadow. His vintage samples and drum machine work combine for great hip-hop beats. His most recent album tops his last couple, in my opinion.

Inspectah Deck and 7L & Esoteric - Czarface

listen
Wu-Tang Clanís Inspectah Deck teams up with the Boston DJ/MC duo of L7 & Esoteric for this one. This is a really fun album and itís great to see some killer underground hip-hop coming out. If this release and the most recent Ghostface are any indication the 2014 Wu-Tang record will be a beast.