View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Mutilator - Immortal Force - May, 1987

Hailing from the same place as Sepultura, it comes as no surprise that Mutilator play a very similar style as those legendary thrashers did in 1986-87. Front man Alexander was even asked to join Sepultura when Jairo left the band in 1987 but turned the offer down. Fast, raw and verging on death metal, Mutilator certainly don't lack for enthusiasm or energy. What separates Sepultura from a band like Mutilator though is true songwriting skill. Even on Morbid Visions, Sepultura displayed a clear ability to build drama and suspense in their songwriting, and most of the songs flowed very well with lots of varied parts. When listening to Mutilator's first album, this is not the case. The band's end game is always the same: blinding speed -- which is all fine and good, but it gets a little predictable as the album goes on. It's a shame too, because there are a lot of cool mid-paced and even epic sounding passages thrown in that seem like they should lead to something even cooler -- but they don't. Just speed. I like speed -- this is a thrash retrospective after all, but sometimes there's just too much of a good thing.

Standouts: War Dogs, Brigade of Hate, Immortal Force

Score: 5.5/10