View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Christmas 2006

Dimmu Borgir – Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (1997)

Dissection – the Somberlain (1993)

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse (1994)

Napalm Death – Scum (1987)

Origin – Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas (2002)

Satyricon – Volcano (2002)

Christmas 2006 always sticks in my mind as my favorite Christmas of all-time. Or at least recent memory. I’m sure there were years as a child when I got that GI Joe toy I really wanted that were pretty awesome. But 2006 was a good year for me and this was the perfect ending. I’ve already posted Cryptopsy’s ‘None So Vile’, Deicide’s ‘the Stench of Redemption’, Enslaved’s ‘Ruun’, Nile’s ‘Amongst the Catacombs of the Nephren-Ka’ and Ulver’s ‘Kveldssanger’ elsewhere on this thread. But I got some other albums that day that were cool, just not some of my favorites. Some of them like Napalm Death’s ‘Scum’ and Satyricons ‘Volcano’ just weren’t what I was expecting. Scum…I don’t know what I was expecting. I think the production just turned me right off. Why I thought a grindcore album from twenty years earlier would sound GOOD I don’t know. And the only Satyricon I’d heard at that point was Now, Diabolical, and Volcano isn’t Now, Diabolical. Other’s, like the Dissection and Origin albums, were bands that I already liked but those albums just weren’t as good as the ones I’d already heard (namely Storm of the Lights Bane and Echos of Decimation). So while they were both really good albums they didn’t catch me off guard and excite me as much. Dimmu Borgir was just there. It was a bit of an overload getting all that great music in one day and they just got lost in the shuffle because I think it was the last one I listened to. Something had to be last and it just happened to be that album. But if you’ve ever been interested in Dimmu Borgir I’d say it’s the best album to own by them. In the Nightside Eclipse I’d already had as a CD-R for years so it was really nothing I hadn’t heard before. Just now I owned a legit copy. It’s a fucking great album though, you should check it out. I always jump back and forth on which album by them (this or Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk) is the better Emperor album but as of now I prefer Anthems. Overall, it was just such a great day. In 2006 I made the decision to buy more underground, hard to find shit and this Christmas was the culmination of that year. I think anyone will agree that I got a lot of wicked albums that day. I also got one of my favorite games of all-time that Christmas, Final Fantasy XII, and I have so many great memories of just relaxing, playing that game and listening to this music. I have kids now and Christmas is special for other reasons but this will always go down as one of the better ones.
Favorite Song (Enthrone Darkness Triumphant): Entrance
Favorite Song (the Somberlain): Mistress of the Bleeding Sorrow
Favorite Song (In the Nightside Eclipse): Inno A Satana
Favorite Song (Scum): the Kill
Favorite Song (Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas): Insurrection
Favorite Song (Volcano): Repined Bastard Nation
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-17-2013 at 09:51 AM.