View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Benoit winning the world title at maina 20 was one of the last times I can recall where something happened in wrestling that made me stand up and cheer while watching it in my living room. I remember he had Triple H in the crossface for so long I didn't think he was going to tap at all. I remember while Trips was in the crossface my dad, brother and I were all screaming at the TV "TAP YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!! TAP!!!"

The embrace between Benoit and Eddie after the match was awesome. I will admit that when I've watched that in recent years I get a little choked up. Eddie's title win the month before and Benoit's at wrestlemaina 20 were easily two of the most emotional world title wins you will ever see. That's the problem now, there isn't too much to get emotionally invested in with today's WWE. They had something close with Daniel Bryan but they blew that by not giving him the belt and letting him run with it.
I watched Wrestlemania XX in a packed theater and everyone was going apeshit at the end of that match. And the visual of him and Eddie at the end is one of the greatest images in wrestling, period. Not the current era, not the last thirty years, period. And now it's had to have been erased.

And even worse is so many good matches are lost. It's not like he was ever a low card guy and a PPV would be fine without his matches. He was always in a main-event or high profile match.

And he was the last guy I ever thought would end up like that. Without sounding crude, guys like Eddie Guerrero, Bryan Adams, Bam Bam Bigelow...they really didn't surprise me when they went. But Benoit was a guy who I thought was a stand up guy with a good head on his shoulders. A guy who would be wrestling for ten or fifteen more years and then retire comfortably into a backstage role. WWE for life, basically.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2