View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Oh yeah, CD will always win that competition.

I always figure with dust, if you put the inner sleeve into the out one so that the openings alternate (i.e. inner sleeve opening faces outer sleeve spine), and then the same thing with outer sleeve into poly-sleeve, then the dust has got to perform some serious chicane-turning shit to get to the vinyl, so it it makes it, it deserves it

I was thinking about whether it's worth getting some of those thin inner poly sleeves. I read that long term, paper sleeves suck because the paper deteriorates and sticks to the vinyl. A couple of the ones I've bought have come in inner poly sleeves, and I think you can buy them, although they seem scarcer than the thick outer ones.
Yeah, that's what I've done as well. The vinyl itself isn't exposed, all openings are sealed by either jacket or outer sleeve. The dust will win, every time. I still have to brush off the vinyl before I play it, because there's invariably dust that somehow gets in there.

I think you're referring to static resistant inner sleeves, the kind that are clear and kind of stick to the vinyl? If so, they absolutely work. I bought Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason last year on vinyl and both vinyls were housed in those static resistant sleeves, which the seller swore to me would make a difference in the sound, and the records play completely silently. No dust at all, no static, no popping. I've never heard that album sound so good.

Also, since you haven't bought a turntable yet, they actually make ones that come with a stylus that has a brush attached that hits the vinyl before the needle, thus sort of cleaning the record as it spins. Might be worth looking into.