View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost at Number One View Post
Honestly, it has nothing to do with "thinking outside the U.S." The thing is, very little of the U.S. has even gotten the chance to see Queensryche. They really haven't played many shows here, and those that have been played are in very random spots in the country. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is a bit of a music/concert hotbed, and they've yet to book a date anywhere near me. I thought they'd want to capitalize on the surge in support surrounding all the Tate drama, but that didn't turn out to be the case.
To be honest, I don't think either of them has come out of the split drama all that well. This venue they played in London is less than half the size of what they were playing with Tate still in the band, even on tours for shitty albums, and it wasn't sold out either. Elsewhere the Dublin venue got downgraded, and the show in Oulu got cancelled altogether.

I don't think it's a lack of desire to capitalise on opportunity at all, I think it's a serious lack of opportunity and the random cities/venues they're playing is because that's all they can get. Same goes for Tate.

On this tour, if they were playing six new songs a night and dropped a bunch of the old stuff people have been waiting a decade or more to hear, they'd be playing to even smaller crowds, or at best the same size crowd with half the enthusiasm. Especially at the prices they're charging (last night was equivalent to roughly $40 for a ticket, and $30 for a shirt).

Where Europe is concerned, they should have spent the Summer playing a bunch of rock festivals, where everyone loves a nostalgia set, instead of the random little pockets of US shows they played. Then they could have come back in October with a new album set and everyone would have gone to see them again assuming they impressed at the festivals, which I have no doubt they would have on the strength of last night. Then focus on doing NA properly.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival

Last edited by ravenheart; 10-13-2013 at 04:54 PM.