View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Definitely, and I'm hoping it will grow on me.

This record has a subtlety about it. He's not trying to shock people anymore. His earlier stuff was compelling because it was more intense and disturbing, and packed a punch, but his music across the board is going to be good just because musically he's one of the best there is.

That he's changing his style a bit, I think gives the music a novel feel. I like this, but at the same time I miss being walloped in the face. I also like that it's obvious he listens to a ton of different styles of music, like Prince or jazz standards, and that they find their way into his music. What I don't like, and can't escape, is that a decent portion of this album is boring, especially by NIN standards, and it's actually hard to concentrate on it all the way through.
You had me nodding in agreement up until the last sentence. I actually like the album as a whole, for the reasons you stated. Does it have its less interesting moments? Sure, but I wouldn't call them boring. I just agree that he no longer seems to feel the need to punch us in the face anymore, and as appealing as it was when he was doing it, it's not always necessary. He's a great artist.

That, and I thought The Slip was less interesting than this one, so if you wanna fight about it, 300%, I'll be your huckleberry.