View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 01:33 AM
One who onions things

Saxon -- Hollywood, CA -- October 4th, 2013

Outstanding show from Saxon. Just as good as when I saw them two years ago at the Key Club, but this time the show was at the House of Blues. The crowd went bananas for the band and they played their longest set of the tour so far in response- the turnout was damn good as was expected, though probably a rung or two short of a sellout.

Walked in for the end of Halcyon Way. They didn't sound very good. Fozzy was total poop. Jesus, I thought I dealt with enough tryhards at college, but Fozzy take the term to a whole new level. There were actually a good amount of people there for them- brohos and mid-30s overweight douchebags that wish they were as broey as Five Finger Death Punch fans. Luckily they all cleared the building when Fozzy were done, and all that was left were crazy Saxon fans.

Saxon were quite simply incredible. No unaccompanied solos this time, just an hour and 45 minutes of some of the best New Wave of British Heavy Metal ever. Biff sounded fantastic. Sacrifice and Guardians of the Tomb were great choices from the new album, though Made in Belfast still isn't very good. They need to bust out Warriors of the Road already. Dogs of War was a total treat as was Dallas 1 PM. Just an awesome show in general. Biff also said we were the best show of the tour so far. I never thought I'd say this, but LA/Hollywood really stepped up for this show and made it a night to remember. I'm betting that the SF show will be a great one as well. Biff also mentioned that this show and the one last night were the first times they had played Sailing to America in decades. It sounded a lot better live than it does on album. No To Hell and Back Again, 747, Unleash the Beast or Lionheart, but still a top notch show regardless.

Procession
1. Sacrifice
2. Power and the Glory
3. Night of the Wolf
4. This Town Rocks
5. Made in Belfast
6. Never Surrender
7. Heavy Metal Thunder
8. The Eagle Has Landed
9. Dogs of War
10. Motorcycle Man
11. Sailing to America
12. Rock n Roll Gypsy
13. Guardians of the Tomb
14. Dallas 1 PM
15. Denim and Leather
16. Wheels of Steel
Encore
17. Crusader
18. Strong Arm of the Law
19. Princess of the Night
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 10-05-2013 at 11:08 AM.