Thread: 2013....
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
The new Nine Inch Nails is boring. He should take the best parts of Nine Inch Nails (circa-2013) and How To Destroy Angels, combine them and release one really good album instead of two sleeper albums. I know he's not the same guy who made Broken twenty years ago but yeah, it sucks.
Ghosts I-IV was better than Hesitation Marks. It was a serious departure from Reznor's traditional style but a fantastically varied creation of NIN.

The new album warrants skipping tracks, like The Slip, which should be unthinkable on a NIN record.

He's not the same guy, no, but I don't buy into the "shelf life" argument for NIN/Reznor, at least not in the sense that Reznor is past the point of being capable of writing better material than what we hear on Hesitation Marks. I think he still has plenty of writing capability and the capability of imaginative expression with the right collaboration (Ghosts I-IV was great, the soundtrack he wrote with Atticus Ross for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was great). There could be an argument that the style of work he's done later in his career is his best if being considered is maturity and superb technical proficiency. So it's not a lack of capability in my mind; there's a good chance he isn't making "classic" albums right now simply because he doesn't want to, which could be attributed to a number of things, only one of which being "he's not the same guy emotionally as the guy who wrote Broken, TDS, etc."